ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alarm/Insurance question

Does a Thatcham Category-1 alarm lower your insurance enough to warrant buying it over a cheaper alarm but with mostly the same features?

Depends. Only way to find out to ask the insurance company.

I paid £399 for my Cat 1 alarm/immoboliser (clifford concept 300) and had over £200 knocked off my premium.

I like the sound of that but the company im with the now do not take alarms into account really. Its just for future reference.

I got mine for peace of mind really, not for insurance, I liked the sound of the all the security features, a must if you have ALOT of ice.
& it aint thatcham catagorised for no reason, its respected by insurance companies due to the fact its very hard to steal a car with one on so surely thats enough reason to buy one!

well obviously, and its very difficult to steal a car via conventional methods when you have say a G4 clifford on there! unless you just lift it up & stick it up on the back of a trailer truck, but lets be honest, I doubt people will go through that amount of effort to steal a clio or somet similar,
So get a decentish one mate! Get your motor & everything within in protected!

& yeah msa I think i agree with you :-S

Ah yeah good call, I forgot about the car completely... obviously a rarer & more powerful car is more colourful & wanted to the criminal eye so yeah! good call!

A Thatcham 1 means that it has interior sensors, rolling code remote, an immobiliser and a Battery Back Up siren. Insurance companies know nothing and neither does Thatcham.

A Clifford Concept 300 is Cat1 but a 400 is not cos it doesnt have a back up siren. It does have more features tho.

So i fitted a 400 to my Mini and bought the back-up siren as an option. Got my ICE guy to run me off a Concept 500 certificate and voila! 400 with back up siren worked out cheaper than 500.

Also Clifford has optional tilt sensor so they cant tow your car without setting of the alarm unless they r very, very, very good!

Kenny (BillyBhoys Bro)

Well ive got the concept 500, and the only difference between the 500 & the 600 (apart from the price) is that the 600 has the tilt feature! But ive tried to jack up my car etc whilst its alarmed etc etc to take the wheels off & everything & the alarm still goes off so i think its pointless!