ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alienware vs Dell *HELP*

Lee

BMW M2C
Roy Munson said:
Chipset fans are evil anyway. Passive all the way.

Exactly, and the the price we paid you would expect them to use the Premium version of the board. They claimed none failed when they tested the boards before selecting them!!! It's a well known fact which Asus even achnowledge!!

I've still got a tray of Asus fans in the cupboard!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Not really sure what to say to this, lol. Are you saying that the card cannot support all teh features of FEAR? Cause then i would agree. FEAR will only let me set to max what is supported! you meantion 60fps but i personally consider anything above 25fps smooth.. so would you belive that?

Your making me doubt myself now, maybe I should reinstalll the game and see how it goes.. I just remember being so proud of teh XPS when I first played it with stuff turned up and not lagging!

Roy Munson said:
Mainly because I had one in my old system, I know what it's capable of, and running F.E.A.R. tip top at anything approaching 60fps isn't on its CV. Also because I know my games, and their demands, and what hardware is mustard and what's not - F.E.A.R. is a total monster of a game and requires serious hardware to run at big resolution with big frame rates, the 6800 is not up to the job. Especially at 1920x1200 - that's GX2 or SLi territory.

You may be running it at a framerate you are happy with, and that's cool. I guess it depends what you call smooth. You don't need to 'prove' anything dude, I know for a fact that a 6800 based rig cannot max F.E.A.R. even at 1024x768. Still a good card though :)

Saner said:
Not really sure what to say to this, lol. Are you saying that the card cannot support all teh features of FEAR? Cause then i would agree. FEAR will only let me set to max what is supported! you meantion 60fps but i personally consider anything above 25fps smooth.. so would you belive that?

Your making me doubt myself now, maybe I should reinstalll the game and see how it goes.. I just remember being so proud of teh XPS when I first played it with stuff turned up and not lagging!

I would find it almost impossible to believe that you could average 25fps at that resolution, perhaps a maximum, but no matter - I personally regard 25fps as slide show, but if you're happy then that's all that matters :)

Monaro VXR
25fps is noticeably bad as I said minimum of 40 is what i would suggest for perfect gameplay want it averaging 60 - 75 usually though.

And about the weight of computers woudl love to see some theifing scum bag try rip off with my computer. The thing weighs so damn much. Then again it is a huge case and its rather full.

ST
I want a new PC but dunno what to go for?? Knows it'll have to be duel core but thats about it...

Monaro VXR
Roy Munson said:
^^The ideal minimum is 60 :D

Ideal yeah but if your using a tft via dvi its probably fixed at 60hz or 72 etc so 100+ fps is then wasted. Think at very very intensive parts in fear i got down to around 35fps on my 7800gtx512 thats at 1600x1200 with aa and af etc. not running at standard clocks though cpu is overclocked as is graphics card etc. Still it dropped but it was still perfectly playable since it only happened for a couple seconds at most by then id killed most things lol.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Ii think the fps thing is just for the hardcore gamer, most people can't see a difference above 24fps. 35mm film is filmed at 24fps.

If you do alot of gaming tho, you will start to notice it.

White Sti Hatch
Alienware!!!!!!

Dells are pish always have been always will be !

The higher the FPS the better as your game will run alot smoother specialy if your playin online games like FPS you dont want lag whatso ever !

Saner said:
Ii think the fps thing is just for the hardcore gamer, most people can't see a difference above 24fps. 35mm film is filmed at 24fps.

If you do alot of gaming tho, you will start to notice it.

Wrong. The movie is filmed at 24fps but it's not refreshed - it's constant from the projector. Viewed at home its either 25 or 24fps depending on PAL or NTSC, but its refreshed 50 or 60 times per second (interlaced)

A game running at around 25fps is only being drawn 25 times per second, not 50 or 60 as with a DVD at home. It's not the same thing at all :)

BG182®
fnx for all ya opinions ppl on what i should get. i didint expect it to be sucha big thread lol but i fink im gna op for the alienware system. just seems to pack mre then the dell for what i wnt. fnx evryone :D

WILLIE said:
fnx for all ya opinions ppl on what i should get. i didint expect it to be sucha big thread lol but i fink im gna op for the alienware system. just seems to pack mre then the dell for what i wnt. fnx evryone :D

Are you really going to spend the best part of £2600 on a games machine that will be out of date this time next year and can't really be upgraded? Madness :S

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Um, i'm not understanding you Roy.

The refresh rate has nothing to do with FPS

When you go to the cinema you see a film at 24 FPS at a 'infinate' refresh rate.

When you play a game at 24 FPS with say a 60htz refresh rate you will notice it, but up it to about 100htz and you have the effect of an infinate refresh rate, because the eye can't work that fast.

Saner said:
Um, i'm not understanding you Roy.

The refresh rate has nothing to do with FPS

When you go to the cinema you see a film at 24 FPS at a 'infinate' refresh rate.

When you play a game at 24 FPS with say a 60htz refresh rate you will notice it, but up it to about 100htz and you have the effect of an infinate refresh rate, because the eye can't work that fast.

I meant the refresh rate of a movie being shown...

Oh no matter, movie fps clearly isnt the same as 24 fps being rendered in a game. We know this because movies look smooth, and games being rendered at 24fps look like a slideshow :)

Monaro VXR
Refresh rates are linked to FPS. If a monitor is running at 60hz it can display a maximum of 60fps. 70hz 70fps. If you see 100+fps numbers your not seeing all those frames.

What V sync does limit FPS to what your refresh rate is. And thats why some consoles when they say they run at 60fps state on the box for 60hz tv's.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Think were going to have to agree to disagree.

24 FPS is 24 FPS

I would in no way consider is a slideshow, as I cannot distinguish (sp) it. I can recognise that 30/40/50 FPS is smoother. But that doesn't make 24 FPS a slideshow

Here is a link that explains all. Apparently the eye can see up to 72fps. It's quite an interesting read, and it answers our questions :)

Monaro VXR
24fps has a noticeable frame skipping kind of effect.

And human eye can see over 60hz. Monitor screens set at 60hz give me a headache and dont look as nice to my eyes. 75hz is better.

Here is an interesting that explains a lot. It certainly explains why 24fps is fine for movies, and also goes onto explain why the eye can see up to 72fps in video games. Well worth a read - certainly answered a few questions for me :)

Ask any gamer, any real gamer...actually, ask anyone without a patch over both eyes...24fps in a shooter, is a slide slow ;)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
lol, this is a bit of a mess!

Having a read of teh link atm.

Just been playing around with FRAPS and HL2 EP1 and i'd love to show you the vid, see what you think the FPS is, but it's 350mb, soo no go there.

wozzaa, i never said that a human eye coundn't see a difference above 60hz

HL2 Episode 1? Chicken feed mate. This was all about F.E.A.R. and magic pixie dust. Your system, if you've described it properly, will not run it at 1920x1200 at max, or anything approching it, 24 fps or 2.4fps

:)

EDIT: All in good humour by the way. I don't mean to come accross as confrontational :)

Last edited:
  1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I know that HL2 can't compare, never said it did, but athts what I have installed atm. When I get the chance I will get FEAR back on here, i'm determined to prove you wrong (even if it's just a little bit) :)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I know, I know. and after this test is run somebody's confidence if there knowledge of hardware will be questioned. (most likely mine, granted) but it give me something to do between lectures at uni!

Don't forget you'll need to manually edit the config file to get it to run at 1920x1200. I have a sneaky feeling you were playing it scaled before ie. not actually rendering at 1920x1200? That would explain a hell of a lot perhaps.

TBH the biggest problem I have with F.E.A.R. is that I don't have enough pairs of underpants. Jebus, playing that game at night with headphones = brown trousers.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
lol, I can relate to that! Cannot wait for Extraction Point. The multiplayer has worn off it's novelty allready.

jay s said:
nah, my systems can handle it;) 62% done f**kin hell this takes long....

Don't be so sure. F.E.A.R. is hardly the most system friendly of games. It pulls the pants down on a lot of high end hardware. I'm sure you know your stuff, but prepare to be surprised ;)

Audi TT 225 Quattro
f**king thing just crashed:( got to wait another 2 hours:mad: . id be happy if i could run it @ a good res and fps, i'll let you know how it goes, i don't expect miracles tho... what game engine does it use?