ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

All those that doubt ESP

172cup
Just watched it. he can't drive for a start. Not a good basis for any arguement. The points where he was trying to show how badly it handles without the drivers aids.. he was taking the piss/going to the extreme/driving like a r****d

Just watched it. he can't drive for a start. Not a good basis for any arguement. The points where he was trying to show how badly it handles without the drivers aids.. he was taking the piss/going to the extreme/driving like a r****d

No I totally agree with you, an ex-F1, BTCC, Le Mans driver can't drive can he? :S

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Very good vid. But sure theres always gonna be people that say thats pish, I dont need a computer to drive my car for me. Ive been in a slide like that and TRUST me, there is NOTHING the driver can do except let it happen. Thankfully I was only doing 25mph and I didnt hit anything, but if Id had ESP it wouldnt have been anywhere near as scary.

Sure, the video might over exaggerate things but the point is clear. ESP is a good thing.

tiTTy & SV650
70mph on sheet ice aint very realistic but is a worst case I suppose. I feel safer in a car with 1*2 pace with some driver aids. Avoided a sheep at about 80mph once and I don't think it was driver skill!

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
Good vid, I'm going to find an iced over road and drive down it at 70mph swerving around. BRB...

just tried that myself.... oh my god he's right i was talking kack all along... i may remove the button from my dashboard and solder the wires permanently as it couldn't of possibly helped me get up the hill home by turning it off the last couple of days...

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
just tried that myself.... oh my god he's right i was talking kack all along... i may remove the button from my dashboard and solder the wires permanently as it couldn't of possibly helped me get up the hill home by turning it off the last couple of days...

f**k me, I wish I could drive as well as you:rolleyes:
The video clearly shows that esp/abs/tc isn't the hindrance that some people make it out to be in the snow and ice. In fact far from it.

182 Cup
I'm sure ESP is being constantly developed, there must be newer versions being developed all the time by Bosch and others. In my experience on the 182 the ESP hinders progress on ice and snow, but I'm sure that could be a different matter in newer or other cars.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Isn't it Bosch that do the ESP in the Clio (they did on the megane)? In which case it could well be the same programe or similar to the one used on that Jag in the vid because its about the same age.

ESP is great! Its allowed me to drive flat out all week whileother drivers have had to crawl along..

I found the flashing light is a bit annoying though when overtaking. Does anyone know how to remove it?

182 Cup
Isn't it Bosch that do the ESP in the Clio (they did on the megane)? In which case it could well be the same programe or similar to the one used on that Jag in the vid because its about the same age.

I believe it is Bosch that manufacture the ESP in the Clios. But I will correct something from my last post - It's not ESP that hinders progress in the ice/snow, it's the traction control.

The thing about the video posted with the Jag going up the slope though, is that if the car is capable of getting up the slope with traction control off. Electronic systems can't defy the laws of physics. If Tiff had taken a softer approach with the system off, he would have still got up.

My guess at why the 1*2's are so poor in these conditions would be tyre choice.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
They can't defy the laws of physics but it has infinitely better control of the individual wheels than just using your throttle. I don't believe he could get up that slope without it myself and he did say he tried every way possible.

Tangoed Works
iirc the esp system was tuned for the 182's handling limits. i know there are also some manufactures that just slap on a preprogrammed esp system to some cars which are over intrusive.

i found on the 182 that the esp rarely cut in, even if you were going balls out.

a thirsty one
on roads i have it on, have found it kicks in a little on long sweeping bends when the car is not approaching its limits. have turn it off for track days though, it is way to intrusive and linked to the t/c which i dont want on.

Lionel Richie
as i still say ESP has a MAJOR fault on the clios, and that is if you lift the inside rear wheel the ESP will s**t itself and try and kill you