ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Am I making the right choice

Hi everyone. Im hoping that you will all be able to help me. I have been suffering a few sleepless nights lately trying to decide. I’m looking to buy my first real car after only owning old bangers so to speak previously.

My first problem was trying to decide what car to go for. I have spent lots of time looking between the Citroen C2 VTS, Seat Ibiza FR, Ford Fiesta ST and the Clio 182. I immediately ruled out the C2 after the test drive as it really was an awful ride. Based on test drives I am starting to favor the 182 but others seem to prefer the other two for some reason.

Insurance is the next issue. I am prepared to insure which ever car I decide on but obviously want to get it for as cheap as possible. I have heard and as quotes suggest that by adding my mum or dad to the insurance it significantly reduces it. Any other ideas? and who are generally the most competitive? Tesco & Direct Line seem the best so far. For the record I have just turned 22 and have 0 no claims - Ouch!!

I have been putting off buying a car for the last two months now for one reason or another and finally my finances are in place ready to go. Now I hear that the 182 is due to be discontinued and that a new one is going to be released. Ill be really pissed if I have to wait but want to make the right decision. If a new model comes out do you think the insurance is going to be to expensive as its sure to be more powerful?

I am also a little concerned over the all the problems with the Clio that seem to get mentioned in this forum. Seriously are they really that bad and would anyone not buy one because of them?

If I decide on a Clio 182 would you suggest having the Cup? Spoiler? Recardo? Multi changer options?

Don’t know if I should buy a used Clio or a brand new one? I don’t want it to have been thrashed? But have also heard they take a while to be run in properly? How do people suggest they are run in? A long motorway drive from new or what?

To be quite honest I don’t want to be wasting this sort of money on a car I won’t be completely satisfied with and would really appreciate all your help in trying to put my mind at ease. I don’t really know much about cars as you can tell and will probably add further question at a later date.

If there are any links to other websites that may help me post them here.

Regards
Tim

Try Greenlight for insurance. Otherwise its up to you, if you can afford it, get the 182.

I would say buy my Mk1 172 but that is a biased view...

Yaris Hybrid

22, 0 no claims....

Id have gone for that C2.

The new RS Clio wont be high insurance in my opinion, will probably be group 16. Definitely get Cup packs or a Cup depending on what you can afford. IMO its not worth upgrading the seats as I doubt you will be doing track days and fitting harnesses and stuff the multi changer, get an MP3 head unit.

Get a new one and just wait a few k for it to start loosening up.

your on a Clio forum, so you will get a biased view on here!

If it was me, I would get a used 182, with cup options. That way, you wont get hit by the depreciation of a new car.

But, its up to you, some peoples dream is to own a brand spanking new car.

I dont know much about the Ibiza FR, is that like a Cupra? they look a bit funny to me. I think C2s are a bit too small really.

honestly, I think you are worrying too much. If you have been driving old bangers, then the reliability of a new clio should be loads better! obviously the french build quality is a bit poor, but it aint that bad.

RB182cup&golf gti

Ive had a cup since december, brand new, love it to bits, not had any problems altho ive only done 2k miles. Had a vts saxo before that, also brand new and it was in the garage for problems every other week. As for running in i was sad and did a little research into it and read various conflicting opinions about how you should run in a new engine (also gearbox, brakes clutch etc). I varied the engine speed and didnt go above 4k revs for the first 1k miles - lots of medium journeys, definitely not long motorway hauls and dont labour the engine (ie high gear up a steep incline where the engine is struggling) and dont stay at the same speed. Others say thrash it out of the box as it beds the piston rings in, i plan on keeping the car a few years so ran mine in gently and as i said above i havent had any problems *touches wood!

There are loads of problem Clio posts as no one posts saying there car is Ok. Look at the Honda CTR forums they have different areas dedicated to just suspension problems.

The 182 is in production till mid next year possibly a last of the run special will be made depending on normal 182 and 182 Cup sales go. The new shape Clio (its a whole new car not just a facelift) is out the end of the year the Sport version is next summer.

Regards what to buy well you can get 172s quite cheap now and the milage or age wouldnt bother me if the price was right.
However with full wieght 182s with both packs being offered for £12.5k or so with 4 yrs interest free loan they come down to about £11k which is very cheap.