ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

am i right

ph1 clio 172
in thinking that because the prevouis owner had 18" alloys on , that even now i have changed them to 182 alloys that the suspension wont soften till i adjust the height.

i backed the rears off aboout 15 clicks each side and the fronts off about 6 but want to get some penetrating oil for the coilovers before i lower them .

they are gaz shocks and the rears are on the top coil of the adjuster and the fronts are about 1.5" from the top of the thread, so thinking that they are to solid until i drop it abit and let them have some movement.

any adivce will be good
cheers j

172 Cup
Well you have less travel on the dampers so they should change when you uncompressed the springs as they'll have more distance to travel on rebound.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
how big is your arch gap?! :O

and if your springs are compressed against the maximum travel of the shock, rather than the weight of the car, then your handling will be all over the shop! and i cant imagine it being very good for the shocks!

ph1 clio 172
handling was bad front arch gap is about 1.5" -2" with the 16"s on
would it be better to back the shock back to its softest settings
cheers j

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Soften the shocks.... The springs will be no more compressed at the top of the coil than at the bottom... It simply raises or lowers the spring not compress it.

ph1 clio 172
so basicly wind them all to their softest and start again , before or after adjusting the ride height
j

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I'd get them to the height you want and then play about with the rebound settings.

Height will not adjust how hard the ride is however you'll want to make sure you don't get any scrubbing or bottoming out.