ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

An excellent sealant is....?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I'm hearing that EGP is a bit old hat and there are better sealants on the market these days?

Suggestions guys?:)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
what are you after in the sense of:
ease of use - application / removal
durability
looks
a beader
a sheeter

A quick list of ones I consider looking at:
GTechniq C1.5 / C2
Autofinesse tough coat
Werkstatt kit
Zaino system

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
what are you after in the sense of:
ease of use - application / removal
durability
looks
a beader
a sheeter

A quick list of ones I consider looking at:
GTechniq C1.5 / C2
Autofinesse tough coat
Werkstatt kit
Zaino system

Sorry Dave your losing me here, sheeter, beader, I'm not famialr with these terms?

I don't mind spending time applying the product, and since it's for the Monaro (which doesn't get out much due to it's 10 mpg) the overall finish is very important. Although it would be nice if it was pretty durable, I do enjoy wasing the car on a weekly basis.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Sorry to thread hi-jack but what's the differance between sealants and waxes? Results, ease of use and price wise.

I "think" sealant is just that bit easier to apply and can be more durable then wax. Then again it's been a few years since I've bought any products, things have probably changed.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Right, where to start.....
A product that beads well means when water touches the panel, ie rain it forms in very tight little balls due to the surface tension created by the wax or sealant. Looks great IMO. when the car is moving or simply 'blowing' at the beads they will move around on the surface and general run off dry.
Some people prefer a product that sheets, ie doesn't bead very well as little surface tension but causes the water to sheet off on contact. This will aid slightly in self cleaning as when wet the dirt runs off the panel also. the better the product the more it will do both.

Application wise, all those that I mentioned bare Zaino are simple sprayed onto the paint or an applicator, buff it round the panel and do the entire care, then start again by buffing it off. simple as that, takes a matter of minutes to do so significantly shorter than using a wax. BUT, as with most GTechniq products they perform their best with a perfectly clean base, no glazes / fillers / cleansing oils etc as this will affect durability. Refer back to your thread where we discussed C5. Zaino needs to cure and requires mixing an additive if you want to add additional layers the same day for best results.

Regards to finish, there is sometimes a play off between finish and durability until you start to spend more where you start to get both. But with the finish, do you want something that leaves a really wet look, a deep glow of depth and warmth, flake pop that explodes from the paint?

I always want good durability, but in practice I've never let a wax or sealant fail before I strip it all off and start again. I've worked my collection down so that most will last close to 6months. even tough coat I've seen last almost that given the right maintenance.

So from my list
C1.5 / C2 leave a very clinical look of cleanliness, works great on silvers IMO, last 6months + but need a pure clean surface for best results. ie IPA wipedown as with C5. Both will bead but sheet very well
Tough coat is generally a good all rounder. does add a nice bit of gloss, so easy to use you'll likely top it up with more layers instead of using a quick detailer after a wash, flake pop has been pretty good, can be layered over glazes and fillers so could be used over your SRP, and I've seen 2 layers give anything between 3 and 6 months dependant on use and wash technique. It can also be layered with a wax on top. Our Focus looked awesome with tough coat and desire on top.

I've very little knowledge of the Zaino and werkstatt kits but generally hear nothing but praise. Werkstat kit is as simple to use as toughcoat. will probably give a slightly better finish but may fall a little on durability.

Any reason for a sealant over a wax? I think the monaro is a flat red? not metallic?

I'm sure Russ, Gally and JD will be along to put you straight

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Right, where to start.....
A product that beads well means when water touches the panel, ie rain it forms in very tight little balls due to the surface tension created by the wax or sealant. Looks great IMO. when the car is moving or simply 'blowing' at the beads they will move around on the surface and general run off dry.
Some people prefer a product that sheets, ie doesn't bead very well as little surface tension but causes the water to sheet off on contact. This will aid slightly in self cleaning as when wet the dirt runs off the panel also. the better the product the more it will do both.

Application wise, all those that I mentioned bare Zaino are simple sprayed onto the paint or an applicator, buff it round the panel and do the entire care, then start again by buffing it off. simple as that, takes a matter of minutes to do so significantly shorter than using a wax. BUT, as with most GTechniq products they perform their best with a perfectly clean base, no glazes / fillers / cleansing oils etc as this will affect durability. Refer back to your thread where we discussed C5. Zaino needs to cure and requires mixing an additive if you want to add additional layers the same day for best results.

Regards to finish, there is sometimes a play off between finish and durability until you start to spend more where you start to get both. But with the finish, do you want something that leaves a really wet look, a deep glow of depth and warmth, flake pop that explodes from the paint?

I always want good durability, but in practice I've never let a wax or sealant fail before I strip it all off and start again. I've worked my collection down so that most will last close to 6months. even tough coat I've seen last almost that given the right maintenance.

So from my list
C1.5 / C2 leave a very clinical look of cleanliness, works great on silvers IMO, last 6months + but need a pure clean surface for best results. ie IPA wipedown as with C5. Both will bead but sheet very well
Tough coat is generally a good all rounder. does add a nice bit of gloss, so easy to use you'll likely top it up with more layers instead of using a quick detailer after a wash, flake pop has been pretty good, can be layered over glazes and fillers so could be used over your SRP, and I've seen 2 layers give anything between 3 and 6 months dependant on use and wash technique. It can also be layered with a wax on top. Our Focus looked awesome with tough coat and desire on top.

I've very little knowledge of the Zaino and werkstatt kits but generally hear nothing but praise. Werkstat kit is as simple to use as toughcoat. will probably give a slightly better finish but may fall a little on durability.

Any reason for a sealant over a wax? I think the monaro is a flat red? not metallic?

I'm sure Russ, Gally and JD will be along to put you straight

The Monaro is metallic black. So far I've been SRP ing the car every season (only 1000 miles covered or less). Straight after the polishing session EGP is applied. Ideally I'd like a sealant that works very well with Black, has a beading effect, good durability. I'd like to apply it seasonally after polishing the car, topping up with a quick detailing spray after the weekly wash.

Any ideas? Perhaps the Flake Pop? Although you think Tough Coat is good idea also? Could I use that one after SRP ing the car?

Clio182
Big fan of Sonus SFX4. Gives the look of a pure carnauba wax with the long lasting benefits of a sealant. Very easy to apply and remove. Looked great on my old black R26 with P21s GEPC applied beforehand.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Jeffs Carnauba sealant is awesome stuff. Easyish to apply as long as you dont use too much. I cant compare it to C1 etc etc but it worked well on my prev cars. Lasted alot longer than CG Jetseal, which apart from being easy to apply didnt last long!

EGP is actually pretty good. The latest/more expensive stuff is probably better but EGP has just been left on the shelf when its actually a decent product.

Not a 320d
Werkshat is easy enough to use and looks good. Theres a thread I posted of my mates golf recently with it on.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
When I finally get off my a##, I'll bring down some autofinesse lather and toughcoat for you as they should work fine with your SRP. at least then you can see whether it is worth it in your mind to change from EGP

Megane R26
After trying literally everything I am sticking to Tough Coat and Zaino Z2.

Tough Coat couldn't be easier to apply - wipe the first layer on with an applicator, leave for a short while (do the whole car) then remove with a MF towel, it's ridiculously easy to use. Then, any subsequent layers can be sprayed on to the paint directly. Simples. I would expect 3-4 months from a couple of layers.

Zaino seems to scare a lot of people off with ZFX, and all of the different product. I just use Z2 (single layer) and Z8 afterwards (Spray sealant). This combo, from a single layer, will give you an easy 5months+. Everyone seems to want to use the ZFX additive, but it really doesn't need it. Also Z2FX is coming soon which includes the additive, and when thats here, with its faster curing, it's going to take over... Z2 has been around for 11 years or so, and has stood the test of time very, very well - never fails to impress me.

If it's a darker car, then look at a deeper looking sealant, such as Menzerna Powerlock or Blackfire's.

If you're after a coating then something like Optimum Opti Coat 2.0 or Nanolex Ultra (when it's released) would be my top choices.

There's a LOT of choice out there nowadays!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Z2FX is going to blow up some shiz I must say. I love Zaino.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Easy to apply has to be Werkstat Jett mate. Z2 is as easy to apply as a wax mate but Jett is like wipe on and off via spray.

I actually prefer to use an app to apply jett.

Is the paint quite fresh and clean? No glazing required?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
as above what condition is the paint in? will you be using anything else with it? what do you want the finish to give the LY?

best for sheeting I've found is C2, didn't like the look of it on LY myself. Russ rates zaino on LY. If I still had it I'd like to try toughcoat again on LY

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks for the replies, didn't check this section yesterday.

Easy to apply has to be Werkstat Jett mate. Z2 is as easy to apply as a wax mate but Jett is like wipe on and off via spray.

I actually prefer to use an app to apply jett.

Is the paint quite fresh and clean? No glazing required?

It's reasonable. I've been using iron-x recently and that's helped but could do with a de-tar and clay really. Some of the tar is quite stubborn so probably needs Tardis to remove.

as above what condition is the paint in? will you be using anything else with it? what do you want the finish to give the LY?

best for sheeting I've found is C2, didn't like the look of it on LY myself. Russ rates zaino on LY. If I still had it I'd like to try toughcoat again on LY

As long as it looks good for a while I'm easy LOL

Just need something that sheets because the backend is a nightmare for dirt.

Only wax I've got is Banana Armour.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Werkstat and Zaino will sheet water. Nano sealants like Gtechniq etc will keep your car cleaner for longer.

If you can, hold out for a new product coming out, think it's called max protect or similar, from the man who developed old Gtechniq C1.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's called Max Protect, not on the forum yet mate sadly. It's coming though.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Werkstat and Zaino will sheet water. Nano sealants like Gtechniq etc will keep your car cleaner for longer.

If you can, hold out for a new product coming out, think it's called max protect or similar, from the man who developed old Gtechniq C1.

Thanks Gally I'll have look into those.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
When I finally get off my a##, I'll bring down some autofinesse lather and toughcoat for you as they should work fine with your SRP. at least then you can see whether it is worth it in your mind to change from EGP

Cheers Dave! :) I've gotta spend out on a bottle of shampoo, the last of the Duragloss was used last week, so Auotfinesse Lather it is. I've planty of EGP left, I ought to use it up before spending out fot a replacement. But when I do you'd say Toughcoat works well with the Monaro's metallic black paint job? Also I'd like the sealant to work with the Sonus Acryllic quick detail spray I've recently pickede up if possible.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

Used the Tough Coat today. Personally I don't really think the shine/glossy effect is any more so than EGP. I guess it's just that bit more durable than EGP? Thanks for allowing me to try some, appreciated Dave.:)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
The finish is said to get glossier with additional layers but I've only really used it with silvers, but it's just so easy to to use adding layers and durability work out great. On silver's I could see a difference

Get another couple of coats on there and see what you think. Maybe try it side by side on the bonnet of the fabia against EGP, would be a good test

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
The finish is said to get glossier with additional layers but I've only really used it with silvers, but it's just so easy to to use adding layers and durability work out great. On silver's I could see a difference

Get another couple of coats on there and see what you think. Maybe try it side by side on the bonnet of the fabia against EGP, would be a good test

I did apply a second coat more or less after the first. The scent of Tough Coat is similiar to EGP obviously using the same or some very similiar chemicals. I do wonder if perhaps some time period of curing between application and buffing could increase the finish?