ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another weight thread

172 cup, Impreza P1
I am considdering the hill climbing thing and am looking at classes and power to weight ratios trying to sus out my local competition.

The Class B modified leaders are running a 106 Ralley with 190bhp and 692kg weight (275bhp/ton) without driver and also a 205gti 8v turbo with 324bhp/ton.

To get a power to weight ration in the clio it would need to have 215bhp with a weight of 780kg. Is this possible? I dont think so.

Cant use forced induction either so N/A all the way!

Any ideas if this is possible?

53 Clio's & counting
Too light im afraid, I think you would be able to get under 900kg's comfortably, but not under 800kg'sMore power to offset the weight would be the option

172 cup, Impreza P1
So how much do you think 240bhp would cost. Then the car would need to be 870kg.

I'm guessing ITB's, wild cams and a good bit of head work?

Itb'd 182
240 bhp would cost alot if its even possible with out spending stupid cash , i know Daz's cup runs 231bhp you would need , forged bottom end , cams , itbs , decent headwork , megane bottom pulley and a standalone Ecu probally 4k +

Lionel Richie
i think Daz's ran 231 on a hooky rollers once, think it did 215-220 on TDF's

a genuine 240bhp NA will be over £7k

lightest phs2 clio i know of is mine and thats just under 850kg (no cage)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Having run a stripped out 80's hot hatch the clio really just seems too substantial and modern to get down to that unfortunately. A bean can metal death trap is what you need!!

172 cup, Impreza P1
i think Daz's ran 231 on a hooky rollers once, think it did 215-220 on TDF's

a genuine 240bhp NA will be over £7k

lightest phs2 clio i know of is mine and thats just under 850kg (no cage)

With an engine budget of say half that, would could you expect with carrying out some mechanical work myself Fred?

Is a 6 point enough for for motorsport or does it depend on the series?

Have you got any fibre glass panels to get to 850kg and is there any trim at all?

172 cup, Impreza P1
I'd be starting with a Mk1!

I'm starting to think you're right but am so attached to my 172 cup as I've had it since new and want to take it with me to the grave which if I don't get a roll cage might not be too far away. :rofl:

Golf GTD Mk7
240 bhp would cost alot if its even possible with out spending stupid cash , i know Daz's cup runs 231bhp you would need , forged bottom end , cams , itbs , decent headwork , megane bottom pulley and a standalone Ecu probally 4k +

Add another few grand to that total tbh. You will pay nearly 4k without the standalone and itbs

If you could get the car to 850kg including cage, and run a good 230bhp minimum, you're pretty much there. Engine wise, you'll need high comp forged bottom end (add lightened crank/rods/flywheel to help weight), some nice peaky cams, ITB's and maybe uprated valves/springs. Don't think you need to go down the route of solid lifters, but why the hell not ;). You'll be looking at ~£10000 to do all the engine/body mods at a guess. Cheaper to buy a 106 and mod that really.

To reduce weight more, bare shell dip, remove all underseal etc and start from scratch. Probably about 20kg of gunk which can be removed. Can't remember what suspension you can run.

The only options you have for £3.5K is either throttle bodies, or going down the forged route with cams. Not the cheapest car to tune. TDF are running a package at the moment which makes just over 200bhp on standard throttle/management.

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1
Never been a fan of 106's though but you are right. Just fancy seeing how far I can take this thing over the next few years. Probably after that time andalk the money spent I'll think back and wonder if it was worth it but if I don't I'll always wonder. If you know what I mean.

Add another few grand to that total tbh. You will pay nearly 4k without the standalone and itbs

If you could get the car to 850kg including cage, and run a good 230bhp minimum, you're pretty much there. Engine wise, you'll need high comp forged bottom end (add lightened crank/rods/flywheel to help weight), some nice peaky cams, ITB's and maybe uprated valves/springs. Don't think you need to go down the route of solid lifters, but why the hell not ;). You'll be looking at ~£10000 to do all the engine/body mods at a guess. Cheaper to buy a 106 and mod that really.

To reduce weight more, bare shell dip, remove all underseal etc and start from scratch. Probably about 20kg of gunk which can be removed. Can't remember what suspension you can run.

The only options you have for £3.5K is either throttle bodies, or going down the forged route with cams. Not the cheapest car to tune. TDF are running a package at the moment which makes just over 200bhp on standard throttle/management.

Vw caddy tdi
A played with r5 gt turbo will do the job at 890kg kerb weight standard. Put it on a diet and ptwr will be alot higher. Trust me bit unreliable but rapid!

Last edited:
  Clio.
R5 is the right car for the right job, mine ran for years without a problem, in the end I wore it out.
Unreliability can be with many cars, poorly set up fuelling on a R5 is the death of it.

The R5's we run in the project 8 saloon championship are very good on track (around the 220bhp mark and 765Kgs) we have just put an intersesting brake package together, using 280mm discs, 4 pots and still using 13" wheels.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I am considdering the hill climbing thing and am looking at classes and power to weight ratios trying to sus out my local competition.

The Class B modified leaders are running a 106 Ralley with 190bhp and 692kg weight (275bhp/ton) without driver and also a 205gti 8v turbo with 324bhp/ton.

To get a power to weight ration in the clio it would need to have 215bhp with a weight of 780kg. Is this possible? I dont think so.

Cant use forced induction either so N/A all the way!

Any ideas if this is possible?

Going by your location we could end up competing at the same events in the same class! Go for it mate, be good to have another Clio in the class.

When I was thinking about what car to build I considered all the usual suspects, but if you scrutinise them enough they all have good and bad points, in the end I opted for the Clio because I liked it, plus there's loads of spares and reasonable power can be had fairly easily.

My plan from the outset was to get the car as light as possible and concentrate on getting it to handle.
Like you I've read conflicting info regards what weight people claim to have gotten these cars down to. As such i've got no idea what is genuinely feasible, but i'm going to try as hard as I can!
My car is currently sitting as a fully caged but otherwise bare shell so it would be nice if I could get a weight for it as is then focus on adding as little as possible to it as I build it up.