ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Whine Vid !

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
I'm guessing Aux belt idler ? Anyone else have any suggestions ? And how bad it is ?

Thanks

th_MOV02941.jpg

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Any ideas folks ?

If this is Aux belt related, am I going to be ok driving it for a week or 2 until I can get it done ? Need the car for work obviously but dont want any belts snapping or the like !

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
can't really tell from that video, it's not very clear and it's being revved!

the problem i found with my squeaky idler was when the engine was on idle you could hear it. maybe worth a video of the idle noise anf trying to position the camera/mic at the front lower grille drivers side?

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
I've got an idle vid if you like, you cant really hear the noise much on it tho, I'll post it up hang on.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
thanks.

that's sounds like it's well on it's way out to me. i'd get it changed asap tbh oh and avoid driving like i did!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
No I didn't fortunatly, just quite aware of the noise when it began so got it changed asap. Luckily I knew what the noise was straight away!

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Thanks all, Yeah I kinda suspected it was something of that nature, ahwell.

I'll get it changed as soon as I can.

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Just been out under the car to visually check the lower idler, looks ok and doesnt sound that bad close up, still doing it job and tensioning the belt ok, it does have about 1mm or so of play in and out if you know what I mean. However much that tells me I dont know, if anything tho the main whiney noise appears to be coming from futher up however its hard to say for sure.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
tensioner pulley could also be a problem.

either way there is definatly a problem there.

you won't really tell until you have stripped it down and spin the tensioner pulley and te roller idler.

if there is no squeeking when spinning both parts then the problem doesn't lie there, but 99% sure there will be.