ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lower torque after aux belt replacement on 172 mk2

mumpy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio II RS 172
Hi all,

I had my aux belt replaced and the car doesn't feel as snappy in a pretty obvious way. Obviously this is not due to the aux belt replacement itself but I know the process is a bit involved on the 172 mk2 so I am wondering what else could have gone wrong that could cause this.

The person who worked on the car told me that the O/S engine mount bush became loose as it was worn and will need replacement. There is some play if you try to move the engine by hand.

Could this affect throttle response causing the aforementioned issue?

Thanks in advance for any possible insight!

mumpy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio II RS 172
Just a clarification because I can't seem to edit the original message anymore, when I say it is not as snappy I mean the car doesn't pull like it used to.

mumpy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio II RS 172
Was the crank pulley replaced?
I don't think so because I only provided the aux belt kit (belt + tensioner) and they would have charged me extra for the pulley if it had been replaced for some reason I guess.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think so because I only provided the aux belt kit (belt + tensioner) and they would have charged me extra for the pulley if it had been replaced for some reason I guess.
did they remove the crank pulley to get the belt on as they didn't have a tool for the auto tensioner? I've seen a r****d attempt that before.

mumpy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio II RS 172
That might be the case yes. Would that affect the timing afterwards?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah the crank pulley (as well as the cam pulleys) are not keyed so if the bolt is removed the timing can slip, if that's the case its not slipped enough to cause damage just requires locking and reset (assuming that is the case obviously)

mumpy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio II RS 172
A bit of an update, I took the car for a longer drive again and I think it pulls only slightly less than before. From what I have read on the forum, 2 teeth out on the timing belt and it would probably not start. So if the timing is off it would be by 1 tooth. Would that be definitely noticeable? Like it would be very obvious something is off?
Next month I am planning to bring the car down to Essex to AW Motorworks for a cambelt change and I am sure they will sort it out but in the meantime I am trying to figure it out. I will also do spark plugs, fuel injectors and lambda sensors. Maybe I could give the MAP sensor a clean as well?