ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Answer to Captain’s Question

I think I have it Captain!!!! Say you attach a length of pipe (or hose) to a balloon.
You attach a funnel to the other end of the hose.
You hold the funnel out the window of a moving car.

Okay, how fast would you need to go to fully inflate a standard balloon? ( I understand there would be lots of variables in this).

----------------------

Well, you ought to be able to make a pretty good guess at the speed required. Ignore the funnel for a minute (which I suspect wont increase the pressure all that much, anyway: see below). You can apply the Bernoulli equation, which in this case simplifies down to:

V2/2 = P/r

where V is the inlet velocity (or velocity of the car, if you prefer), P is the pressure in the balloon, and r is air density. http://www.balloonhq.com/balloon_car/12.html color=#3d0264this page says that "a balloon inflating for the first time needed about 30 Torr for inflation." 30 Torr = 0.579 psi= 83.4 pounds/sq. ft. r for air is 0.00233 slugs/ft3. So the velocity required to inflate a balloon ought to be:

V2 = 2*(83.4pounds/ft2)/0.00233 slugs/ft3 = 71600 ft2/sec2
V = 268 ft/sec = 182 mph.

Testable Hypothesis: Unless you have an Indy car, you aint gonna do it.

Having a funnel may help a little bit, but I suspect that any advantage will be small, because the entire funnel and ballon is effectively a dead-head, where there is no air velocity and constant pressure throughout. If the funnel helps at all I think it would mainly be in capturing and directing the air, regardless of angle of attack.