ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any BT Workers on here??

Bumder With A Buffer
In particular anyone that works in Line Test Ops??!!

Want to pick your brains with a quick question

Bumder With A Buffer
Night routining (may be known as something else) where they use a Testhead and test lines.

Wondered how long it takes between tests using the Testhead (I.e Tell Tam to switch line 1 say, Tell Testhead to Test, wait for results, move onto next line, Tell Testhead to test etc etc).

I can't get a definite answer from no-one and its frustrating (even from Line Ops themselves!!) maybe because they dont understand what im asking!!??!!!

RIP Dan
Do they still do this?

We dont.

I will ask when I get to work tomorrow.

I understand what you talking about, some of the old boys might remember.

Bumder With A Buffer
Do they still do this?

We dont.

I will ask when I get to work tomorrow.

I understand what you talking about, some of the old boys might remember.

They should do in theory (with Copper lines anyway). They used to do this on the old stuff yes but now im not so sure.

When you say "we dont" who do you mean?? I thought you said you were BT??!!

RIP Dan
Look at my first post...I dont work for BT.

Didnt get much joy im afraid.

We definately dont do this now as it caused more problems than it was worth. The linesman would be given reams of faults which didnt really need looking at. Ie battery, earths and rectified shorts etc that were low readings and not causing noticable problems. Also when the test head seized the lines they were out for a couple of minutes whilst being tested. A subscriber would get silence if they picked up the handset. Sods law states that some insomniacs would be up trying to make calls and would report faults the next morning.

I spoke to the Test guy and he didnt know how to prog our new tester, we used to have an old Vanderhoff test unit and test heads. He said it was manufacturer dependant. Also the pause etc would depend on the test program writer. Not much help I know mate.

You should push the guys in the OMC's, their test expert should know.

Why do you need the info?

Bumder With A Buffer
Ahh sorry I thought you meant you don't work for LINE test OPs but did work for BT!! Confused myself!

Just to do with work, can't get an answer from anyone here or the line test guys at BT :( The new style Testheads that are coming into the market (ok thats a lie! which my company are working on) allow full testing without any form of interruption to customer lines.

Well you would have to use a TAM (Test access Matrix) that allowed what we call "Surf & Test" which basically means you can test an ADSL line without any interruptions to the customer. Off the top of my head at the moment we work up to 24mb without any interruption to the customer. (you probably didn't need/want to know that but hey!)

Test times are a weird thing, for example the guy who kind of leads our team says that they will be given 5000+ (more like 150,000) lines to test in a night and they will go through switching these lines and testing them but are only interested in the good lines. So a test would take about 2 seconds on a good line but longer on a bad line... which they would go back through later and check fully to see what was wrong.

Im testing the one at work and although I can kind of simulate there tests im really interested to know how long it takes to get an accurate set of results and so that I can prove the product works as we say.

Testing is a weird thing anyway as although they want to test for faults it seems they are just ignored and looked at, at a later date which I find weird.

Benefits of using one of the news ones is determining exactly where/what the fault is, EX, CPE, Cabinet etc to cut call-outs etc. BT have said it would save them 150million+ per year.

RIP Dan
I work for a very small BT, alot of our equipment etc are the same.

A line test usually takes a minute or so when its ok, and 2 mins or so when its fcuked.

TBH are you not looking at testing in an NGN network?

They are trying to shorten customer lines and get rid of copper. Fibre to the curb etc.

Our copper network is going very soon and all of our 64k switches are too.

They are talking about 50meg broadband speeds etc.

Maybe worth looking at IP network testing....unless you are ;-)

Bumder With A Buffer
I work for a very small BT, alot of our equipment etc are the same.

A line test usually takes a minute or so when its ok, and 2 mins or so when its fcuked.

TBH are you not looking at testing in an NGN network?

They are trying to shorten customer lines and get rid of copper. Fibre to the curb etc.

Our copper network is going very soon and all of our 64k switches are too.

They are talking about 50meg broadband speeds etc.

Maybe worth looking at IP network testing....unless you are ;-)

All work in hand ;)

Even if it is FTTC there will still be some copper between the cabinet and the customer. So still be a need to do some form of copper line tests.

Then we have a TAM with integrated Testhead .. basically an all in one.

Some interesting facts... some of this is all for France Telecom and they currently run 24mb+ speeds off copper lines!!

The interesting one is making a Testhead for Fibre networks.. although they probably aint interested in that.

RIP Dan
Speak to your OPs line Test guys for Richy then.

We are fairly lucky as its small here and with a few outlaying remote sites we can shorten copper pretty easily. Although it still costs a fcukin fortune to get fibre in.

Things will change massively by the end of 09.

Bumder With A Buffer
Speak to your OPs line Test guys for Richy then.

We are fairly lucky as its small here and with a few outlaying remote sites we can shorten copper pretty easily. Although it still costs a fcukin fortune to get fibre in.

Things will change massively by the end of 09.

Are you in Jersey??? We are supplying some stuff already to you guys there... S.M.U.T Star switch modules and Module Controllers. And we had a guy up the other day about our Testhead, They are going to have one for a trial in the new year

RIP Dan
Are you in Jersey??? We are supplying some stuff already to you guys there... S.M.U.T Star switch modules and Module Controllers. And we had a guy up the other day about our Testhead, They are going to have one for a trial in the new year

Yep, JT....like a little BT;)

Im not really involved with it now, Im mobile BSS. Used to be NSS and a bit of fixed(SystemX) so i am trained on switches etc.

If you come over then PM me, i'll take you out to get lashed.

Unfortunately im not a Johnny big spuds with an expense account, but I like drinking:eek:

Bumder With A Buffer
Bump!!! I might be taking a trip out soon....Just sent out one of my Testheads over for some of your guys there to play with and there's a posibility I might have to go over :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
i have just read this thread in its entirety, I don't have much of an idea what you are going on about but it was interesting all the same.