ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any itunes experts? (PC)

182 Cup
I've just bought a new ultrabook to replace my old laptop. I backed up my old itunes media to an external HDD, but I can't for the life of me get itunes to read my library from there!

The ultrabook doesn't have a huge SSD so I was hoping I could just leave my media library on the external HDD and plug it in when I wanted to access it. Can anyone tell me whether this is possible or not and if so how I go about doing it?

In itunes I've tried changing the itunes media file location (via edit, preferences, advanced), but no joy.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I would probably....

Delete everything out of your iTunes.. obviously leaving the originals on the ext-HDD (unplug it from the PC if needs be).. check the settings in iTunes to make sure it does not copy files to the iTunes library*.

Plug the ext-HDD in .. drag one song/album into iTunes. It should add it in, referencing the external location.

If that works, add the rest in the same way.

* like this:

Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 18.28.15.png

Your default iTunes location is for when you copy new stuff in. Either make that the ext-HDD or just leave it be at default as there won't be much/anything in there anyway.

182 Cup
That's worked very nicely thank you! Much appreciated. Won't be long before CS replaces Google permanently.