ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone bought Practical Photography this month?

:) Bought the magazine as usual in Tesco this evening, had a bit of a shock when I got home and flicked through, first competition I've entered this year and I got a runners up spot.

The shot below got me through to Stage 2 of Photographer of the Year 2008 in the Category of 'Movement' and apparently was the only Motorsport picture selected from a high volume of entries...

157174834_jdnRU-L.jpg

Well chuffed considering this was the first and only time I've shot Motocross (cheers ph-reebone!) :) Have won a fair bit before but this was always the one I wanted to do well in as it's pretty big. Approx 200 photographers go through to Stage 2 and it's pretty brutal (quality is well beyond anything I can achieve) but will see how it goes.

Last edited:
  SchwepTek™
Awesome pic dude. What shutter speed do you need to get the background so blurry like that? Must be slower than 1/250?

Awesome pic dude. What shutter speed do you need to get the background so blurry like that? Must be slower than 1/250?

Yep sure was, this one was 1/50. I found it much much easier than Motor Racing though...and you can get as close as you like.

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
Thats ace is that weel done on getting thr to the next round lets hope you go all the way :)

What was the set up used for that matey? Congrats!

Nikon D50 and Nikon 80-200 2.8.

Was a bit concerned about how picky they might be as it was an unsharpened A4 print from a 6mp camera, looked fine though.

Nice one! Just goes to show that mp is not everything! I printed of some pretty decent A2 prints from the D40!

Very impressed with that shot, shame that sort of glass is a bit off my budget!!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I remember you asking some opinions on which photo to submit, looks like you picked the right one!

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
Congratulations mate, wasn't going to be long before you got some proper recognition for your excellent photos.

FF Blackgold 182
Well done Chris! Like Clart said, I remember when you were asking for opinions on which one was best from a selection of 8 or so. That one was my favourite of the lot! Good luck for the next round, fingers crossed. :)

Awesome pic mate and well done. Do you use a monopod when shooting motorsport?

Only if it's very very windy, then it's pretty much essential for slower panning. Otherwise everything is handheld, got a pretty strong right arm these days from holding my 80-200 for 7 or 8 hours a weekend :)

Bit of an update, went through the next round etc but got a letter today saying I didn't make the final 6. Didn't do too badly though I guess, top 50 out of thousands of entries. Can't win 'em all :)

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
Well done for getting that far. Quite an achievment. Keep up the great work and who knows how far you will go next time?

Bob