ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone build a "RS2 style" inlet??

clio 172
Chip: I understand it is a great quality product, but the manifold is only available sencond hand nowadays! Also, I work in the automotive industry (not motorsports unfortunately), and you'd be surprised at how cheap things can be built. The rs2 inlet is a sort of artisan's work (labor is most likely what makes it so pricey), but in reality, aliminium is about the most readily availabe material on earth, and repetibility is the backbone of the industry.

Meek racing: thanks for the pic. I used to be a member, just didnt renew.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip: I understand it is a great quality product, but the manifold is only available sencond hand nowadays! Also, I work in the automotive industry (not motorsports unfortunately), and you'd be surprised at how cheap things can be built. The rs2 inlet is a sort of artisan's work (labor is most likely what makes it so pricey), but in reality, aliminium is about the most readily availabe material on earth, and repetibility is the backbone of the industry.

Meek racing: thanks for the pic. I used to be a member, just didnt renew.

Agreed, like ANY small volume produced product with labour as part of the cost, its cheaper if you can do the labour for free yourself, but only if your time has no value of course, lol.

Like I said though the parts do add up, and the time taken to ensure its a decent fit with no cutting of slam panel and not losing aircon etc in particular will be a big overhead, well unless you just borrow one and steal the design of course!

If you are prepared to lose the aircon and cut about the slam panel, then its a trivial job to do if you have access to a TIG welder etc, but then so is knocking up a set of bike bodies or if you are in the industry another cheap option if you take your time is just waiting until you have luck finding a set of cheap secondhand bodies if you have the right contacts.

I wasnt saying it CANT be done, I was just saying that for me personally, I felt it wasnt worth losing a couple of weekends of my time, just to save a couple hundred quid, it makes no sense to give up several days of my sparsely available spare time to save a days wages.
But I did it in the past because I found the trial and error interesting and had more free time back then, so im sure some others will be in the position now that I was then.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
ive always liked the idea and looks of the RS2 inlet, but for me its a bit of a waste of money paying for the cover in carbon, id be happy as larry if it were fiberglass/polycarb and just finished in satin black to save a good few quid.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
ive always liked the idea and looks of the RS2 inlet, but for me its a bit of a waste of money paying for the cover in carbon, id be happy as larry if it were fiberglass/polycarb and just finished in satin black to save a good few quid.

The carbon cover is only about a quarter of the overall cost I would expect.

So even if you saved 100 quid doing it in fibreglass its still quite a dear product and the carbon its made from is VERY strong, its not just the cheap much that bonnets are made from normally etc, so to do it in fibreglass I think it would need to be thicker, which would mean either a smaller internal volume, or a large external volume, larger external would stop it being such a good fit, smaller internal would hinder performance I suspect.

So again, I think you would potentially harm the product quite a lot, and save very little.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yes, currently in the process.

Abit more complex that just design and print though.

In the middle of material analysis study for a suitable printable polymer.

Also investing how the plenum shape and size is affecting the laminar flow.

I'd love to have a face to face with you sometime Korky as I to have just sent a couple of designs in for some CFD work (one using the standard lower manifold and the other a complete replacement). A viable printed material and finishing is proving tricky but I hope time will resolve that issue. In the meantime there are other composites and vac - moulding which are cheaper than casting which I am considering.

I'd love to have a face to face with you sometime Korky as I to have just sent a couple of designs in for some CFD work (one using the standard lower manifold and the other a complete replacement). A viable printed material and finishing is proving tricky but I hope time will resolve that issue. In the meantime there are other composites and vac - moulding which are cheaper than casting which I am considering.

I should be at a few shows this year mate, so by all means we could have a chat about it, hopefully by then I may have something produced if I get my arse in gear!

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Are people still interested in these manifolds as I've been busy recently and might have some spare time coming up soon to make some of there manifolds
Can you keep the Aircon? If so im interested!

Nothing just yet

It will take time and want someone that's recently been on a dyno so it can be put on The same dyno again after.