ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone else had problems with RS tuner & Fastchip?

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Waited 5 days to get unlock code and file and when it does finally arrive I get this error below, I then have to reinstall the old cal backup file to get car running again.

Emailed Hank or what ever his name is and all I get back is instructions he sent the first time around, I'm not f**king restarted there is something wrong with the file.

Anyone else had any issues? Guy has gone quiet now.

IMG_0263.jpg

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I believe they have stopped supporting 2nd hand rs tuners so that might be your issue if it’s been used on another car before.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Unlock I’m code works just not new map. If they don’t want to support why offer?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Is this still something to avoid? there isn't a decent renault mapper here in Northern Ireland so I was thinking of just getting a generic file from Fastchip.

I can get an RS Tuner for £70. That means once I unlock it and buy the file the map is still only costing £140ish.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
After previous experience, as mentioned above buy new.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
New ones still come with the map?. Then use as door stop/diagnostic machine/a pretend 1995 games machine.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
229 with the map and OBD2 cable.

Think I'll give it a miss then. I've heard Henk can be a bit weird about unlocking and sending the generic map to second hand units. Plus, I can't get 98oct fuel here in N. Ireland. I'll ask on a local forum who might be able to map it.

Maps used to cost £40 or something and had no protection so you could just get someone to email you theirs for free and you only need to pay the unlock code. Fair enough a change was then made to lock maps to your unlock key on the newer hardware/software, so that if you want a map you need to actually pay for one.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I did exactly the same as you have a couple of weeks ago. I had to upload the most recent RS Tuner software. I then had to upload onto the ECU the most recent software. I then uploaded the new map no issues. Runs much better than the previous map.
There was a part of the instructions that confused me a bit. To do with when you write the ECU. I watched the two you tube videos.
I also run an optimate on my battery while doing it as if voltage drops too low that also causes problems

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
don't be silly, that would be far too easy ?

It wouldn't be economically viable to pay <£500 (Mapping & boat. <£600 if I needed a hotel) to put a map on a pretty standard, daily driver worth £1500 tops. If it was a track toy or something I intended to keep long term I may have considered heading over to England.

I understand that EFIparts or RSTuning would be infinitely better than a generic map from Henk. But for my purpose, the benefits from the 98ron map sounded ideal for around £150 all in, plus the added extra of the diagnostics.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Buy new and get an Rstuner. Used to be the go to thing to do years back! Going off feedback henks a bit of a t**t when it comes to used tuners so ifs not worth the hassle as he is often not giving you unlock codes on tuners you just bought

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Buy new, sell to recoup some money. Let whoever buys it off ya deal with the hassle

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Can't you get cheap crossings anymore? Used to be loads of offers few years ago?

£199 return or £109 single crossing. It's 3 hours (or 8 if you go Dublin - Holyhead) each way too. I done it a few weeks ago when I picked the 172 up in Loughbough and drove the 6 hours to Stranraer. T'was a long day and not something I'd like to do again in a hurry, lol.

Looks like I'll just give this a miss. I'll look into mapping more when I get a 182 'keeper', I plan to sell this 172 in the new year.

Cheers for all the replies.

I'm tempted by an RS Tuner despite the many examples of poor customer service I hear. Will remapping it cause premature wear or stress on the engine though? I've had two engine failures before and neither my 172 nor 182 were remapped!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I'm tempted by an RS Tuner despite the many examples of poor customer service I hear. Will remapping it cause premature wear or stress on the engine though? I've had two engine failures before and neither my 172 nor 182 were remapped!

No, be fine mate.