ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone Ever had..

Phase 2 172
Random question but, has anyone ever had the fire wall behind the engine catch fire?

Basically to cut a story short was towing a car earlier, had to tow it less than a mile back to my house but on the way back smoke started coming from under the bonnet, stopped and had a look and the smoke was coming from the firewall on the bulkhead, so ditched the car i was towing, drove back home still with smoke coming out from the bonnet, then just to make matters worse i lost the brakes(pedal went solid), heat must have melted the servo vacuum pipe it then must have het up some more and boiled the brake fluid so then the pedal went spongy and nearly touching the floor, pulled up the drive got the hose out opened the bonnet to be confronted with some flames licking up either side of the engine. Managed to get the flames out without to much hassle and left it there to cool.

Can't seem to figure out how this started as the firewall wasn't touching the manifold in any way shape of form, best guess is it just generated too much heat.

Car is ph2 172 with 182 manifold.

Now need to replace the servo vacuum pipe and brake fluid.

Anyone breaking a 1*2 with the servo pipe intact?

Focus RS mk1
Has the power steering pipe burst or leaked onto the manifold/or exhaust? I think a couple have had this problem but with wrapped manifolds and exhausts, the wrap holds the oil until flash point then it goes up