ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone know anything about vb?

UR 197, AB 182 FF
MadSi said:
VB = pussy language, try something decent like C++ or C# :)

C++ C# are both "pussy" languages sonny. ;)

Try just using plain C, or how about using system specific machine code.

How about Befunge?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
MikeDX said:
C++ C# are both "pussy" languages sonny. ;)

Try just using plain C, or how about using system specific machine code.

How about Befunge?

C++ is crap because it's a hack of C, full of nastyness.

C# is better than C++ because it has proper object features, but it crap because it assembles to byte code and runs through an interpreter.

VB is sh*te full stop. :p We had a customer who shipped products to end customers written in VB, how embarrassing.

Objective C - now there's a language :)

Kerningham & Richie have a lot to answer for like making half the world write 'C' in such a format that it's virtually unreadable.

Anyone who writes large amounts of code in assmbly these days is a moron (barring those who write code for 8 bit embedded micros), portability is the name of the game - and C99 has that. :)

If I had to pick a language for somebody to learn, it'd have to be 'C'. Gives you an "in" to "normal" programming languages and the "toy" ones. (C# :p)

Languages I've been fluent in....

basic (bbc basic :) - the only real true basic ;) ), 6502 assembly, ARM assembly, 8051 assembly, x86 assembly, AVR assembly, PIC assembly, NIOS assembly, pascal, cobol, prolog, C, C++, Objective C, forth

Probably a bunch more that I've forgotton!

Sold the sport :(
OMG, a real geek!! Gotta be honest though, I cut my teeth on C, then C++, Delphi, VB (for 6 months!), C++ and now C# although not much coding nowadays but making sure everyone else is :)

I've got VB6 experience too. Moved on abit now to mainly C#. But ask away! I'm sure someone will be able to answer whatever question you have looking at the replies above.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
MadSi said:
OMG, a real geek!! Gotta be honest though, I cut my teeth on C, then C++, Delphi, VB (for 6 months!), C++ and now C# although not much coding nowadays but making sure everyone else is :)

Hehe...cough...yeah. I do have a girlfriend though!

Delphi I find amusing, as soon as you fire up an application you can tell it's been written in delphi, borland and their crazy non standard windows controls! Wasn't it called OWL or something?

I did VB at college, thought it was crap tbh! Did Pascal too! LOL

Was getting fairly good with action script (flash), wouldnt have a clue where to start now!!

Astra CDTI SRI
At the min, I have a form on our sharepoint intranet that managers fill in when a person is joining the company. (First Name, sur name, department they are joining etc)

Its dead basic and sends an email to me and another one of the IT staff to show us the details in plain text.

We then fill in all the details in an hta executable that inserts all the details (Full name, email address etc) into active directory.

Is there any, either sample codes or tutorials, that you know of, to automate the process of the plain text email from sharepoint, being automatically put into the hta executable, thus meaning the user is created automaticaly?

I don't want to just make the hta exectable open to the managers to create the users by themselves.

Or is there an easier way of doing it?

(as you might be able to tell, I know f**k all about VB!)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Does this hta thing have a COM interface? (sorry, never used HTA).

The way I usually do stuff like this is:

Use Spy++ to get the control id's for the text boxes and for the insert button.

In my code, parse the text file to get the fields I want, store values in variables.

Find the window handle of the window I want (the hta executable). (FindWindow api - FindWindow(NULL, "My HTA Application") )

Use the SetWindowText api to fill in the text boxes in the window.

Send a WM_COMMAND message to the window with the WPARAM and LPARAM set up accordingly so that the app thinks the "ok" button was pressed.

Doesn't take very long to do and works as it's just like you sitting there typing in the information!

UR 197, AB 182 FF
Ok then, here's one.

I have a VB project, and for some reason it doesnt run in debug mode in the folder that I want it to.

Where the hell are the settings for it?? Using VB6. Don't ask why or what because I won't and can't tell you.