ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone upgraded from a 172/182 track car?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
The other thing the R53 has in it's favour is it's relatively easy to find one with a LSD because it was a factory-fit option, and they don't command much of a premium. They certainly need it when you've turned the wick up a bit ;)

But as others have said, there's a lot to be said for a Clio as a track toy, they're just so much fun, and that's what it all (should) be about. I'd have another one in a heartbeat but the headroom and seating position in the R53 is much better for me so that might be where I go next.

182 Turbo
With the same money spent on engine mods, yes they are. Standard for standard agreed there isn’t much if any difference
I still think it's comperative, the 17% pulley kits are roughly 2-300 £? For around 220 bhp if they have all the other bolt ons exhaust induction etc , 421 cams are only £4-500 on top of your cambelt change cost for 190ish bhp so they're still neck and neck with the mini weighing like 150kg more.
The 1*2's are more capable cars than minis , when I was watching the 750mc at brands the r53 minis were in the same class competing against the mx5s and they were getting 1:01/1:02 Indy lap times , the Clio 182 championship cars were all getting 57s Indy lap times

182 Turbo
With the same money spent on engine mods, yes they are. Standard for standard agreed there isn’t much if any difference
I still think it's comperative, the 17% pulley kits are roughly 2-300 £? For around 220 bhp if they have all the other bolt ons exhaust induction etc , 421 cams are only £4-500 on top of your cambelt change cost for 190ish bhp so they're still neck and neck with the mini weighing like 150kg more.
The 1*2's are more capable cars than minis , when I was watching the 750mc at brands the r53 minis were in the same class competing against the mx5s and they were getting 1:01/1:02 Indy lap times , the Clio 182 championship cars were all getting 57s Indy lap times