ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

App Query

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
OK so...

Lent my House mate my phone and its come back to me with 5/6 new apps on.
The apps he's installed are ones he's bought on his itunes account and downloaded them onto my phone.

He said he logged into his itunes on my phone and re-downloaded the app for free (as he's logged into his account and has paid for the app).

He's put a few great apps on my phone, one of them being TomTom BUT i'm in two minds whether to delete them all. I don't know if there will be any repercussions when i log back into my itunes account as yes there good apps but i wouldn't ordinarily pay for them.

Does anyone know what the deal is?

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
i think it will say your phone has been linked with another itunes account, prompt you to sync and will then lose the new stuff as its not in your library

It's fine. You can sync between them. You get any app for as many devices as you want. So that people with iPhones/iPods/iPads don't have to pay.

Don't be a fairy and just keep them.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Ah great cheers :D

So i can carry on using my phone as normal etc etc? He said whenever there are updates i will need his password but he's given me that too.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
i think i have about 5 phones syncing of my itunes account at the mo, all because i though you couldnt have two accounts worth of stuff on one phone.

Ifail.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Whats this authorise computer business thats popped up in itunes?

Any DRM'd content (that includes iPhone apps) from the same iTunes accounts can be synced to 5 different computers.

This means that you need to authorise your computer for all accounts that you apps installed from on the phone, otherwise you won't be able to back the applications up from the other accounts, iTunes will refuse to do it. They'll remain on your phone and you'll be able to update them on it, but iTunes won't play ball.

Once you've hit your 5 authorisations for an account you can no longer sync content from that iTunes account to any other computers without first de-authorising old computers and then authorising the new one. There's also a "deauthorise all" that appears in the iTunes accounts once you've hit 5 authorisations, you can only do this once every 12 months though.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
OK so basically if i do hit the 5 limit and need to authorise more comuters it's doable but i will lose my apps pretty much? (thats not a bad thing as i've not spent that much money on them anyway)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
OK so basically if i do hit the 5 limit and need to authorise more comuters it's doable but i will lose my apps pretty much? (thats not a bad thing as i've not spent that much money on them anyway)

No, you won't lose anything, but you won't be able to sync them to another computer without either first deauthorising old computers or deauthorising everything and then authorising the computers that you want to be able to sync stuff with. The deauthorise all button is useful in the cases where you forget to deauthorise a computer before you wipe it, give it away, scrap it etc. It provides a means to completely reset all your authorisations regardless of whether or not you still have physical access to the computer.

Your apps will still happily sit on your phone regardless of whether or not you're able to back them up from your computer. You never lose anything, you just lose the ability to "backup" the apps to new computers (once you hit the 5) without deauthorising old computers.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
So can I de-authorise everything and then just authorise mine? (I only want it authorised once with my own pc you see!)

Thanks snoop, very helpful :)