ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple HD failure?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps,

Would you think that the attached pic would indicate that the MacBook's HDD is fooked, or that it just merely needs an OSX rebuild?

MacHD.png

Currently getting it backed up to a G5 using that Firewire transfer option (great feature that) and then afterwards I was going to attempt a repair function first with a Retail copy of OSX.

Is that the best way or should I try something else as well. Don't forget, I'm still a Mac novice, so you might have to explain things a little more to me! ;)

Cheers,
D.

Fiat Panda 100hp
It's not looking good. I'm pretty sure theres a HDD test on the OS CD that can be run from boot up. Try that.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Lol - I just love the feedback you get from Macs! I know discussing the concept that a Mac has 'broken' is as unholy as a bunch of priests discussing their favourite back copies of Pedo-Bear's School-Time Adventures - but come on! Give me a clue?!?!

Macbook.jpg

The DiskWarrior DVD is in, and I can only presume that it's doing something as without it, the MB shuts down at exactly 21 seconds. The DVD drive whirred away for a good 30secs or so (with the C key pressed), then the Apple logo appeared and the spinning thing underneath it.

It's been doing this for about 20mins now. I don't know if it's checking the HDD, verifying it, sanitizing it, checking boot sectors, checking file structures or anything. I'm told jack.

I'm rapidly getting to the CBA stage as I've got more important things to do. A reformat with the OSX DVD is looking preferable than all this guess-work....

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Something new this morning....... woooo!

MB2.jpg

Next attempts to communicate with it include Jedi mind tricks and Vulcan mind melds.

Either that, or a lump hammer. ;)

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well I've taken the view that the HDD is fecked. Despite both DiskWarrior and the disk repair/verify utilities on the OSX DVD confirming that they've both repaired folder structures, etc - it still doesn't boot.

Fired the Mac up into verbose mode with Apple key+V and after a while, it starts randomly posting messages about disk0s2:I/O Error. It continues to do this all the way to the blue screen with the mouse pointer, but doesn't actually ever get to the desktop.

Nabbed another SATA drive from a PC laptop, formatted it and trying again. So far so good. Just an arse of a situation that I could do without really. :)

D.