ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are new shape Golf GTI’s really this slow

On my way back from Alton Towers on Monday and decided to go the cross country route as the way there was hurrendous, M1, junction 28 etc etc. Anyway showing it some action and had three mates in so I was fully loaded being a 2 plus 2 car. Came up behind a Laguna eventually who was chilling out tootling along at around 60. Then this Golf GTI pulls up behind me and instead of waiting for a clear stretch where we could both do one the silly tw*t overtakes me and nips in behing the Laguna forcing me to brake quite sharply. Anyway road opens up and we both nip out to overtake the Laguna me up the Golfs Batti and masively having to hold back in 3rd. He goes back in and I go past him with ease topping out in 3rd and into forth until about 110 where I chill out to a more reasonable 80. Then Mr Golf comes racing up my arse so I knock down from 6th to 4th and leave him once again with almost too much ease??

I know the 0-60s are crap on the new Golf but are the in gear times equally as poor?

Had a few tussles with 1.8 Turbo Golfs and A3s/A4s - not very difficult to pull away from at all - evenn the V6 4 Motion/V5 is a doddle - havent met an R32 yet, but its 0-60 is 6.4 I think although Clarkson timed it at 6 dead - ud kinda hope for more than that for a top of the range golf with every trimming - kinda same story with the Cooper S - not knocking it but a top of the range motor with all the extras you would like to hope for at a 0-62 of under 6 seconds?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I have never found a fast one yet.. the R32s are supposed to be fast but I have never found one of them yet..

All the GTis and TDis I have come up against lost.... badly...

new golf are just bloody shocking unless its a pd150 tdi or r32 they handle liek sponges and go like sloths on prozack

S2000

It depends what GTi it was, if it had a red i then it may have been the 150BHP petrol turbo, or the PD diesel!

If it just said GTi and had 15" alloys then it was the 2.0 8v lump of shecht!

GR7

Shiny red R32

I think that Golfs are a bit on the sluggish side because they have grown so big and are very heavy, but it might be safer being in a Golf in a crash rather than a Clio!

Look at the size difference between the original Mk1 and the newest ones!!