ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

are these faults linked?

BG 182
Gents,

I have spent a good hour searching, whilst my blood was boiling listening to my missus 172 cup car alarm going off due to flat battery!!! but just wanted a few more pointers for tomorrows unplanned fault finding session!

1st problem, after driving the car, whether it be for 10 min or 30 mins the fan has started to constantly run. sometimes even when just turning ignition on, to the point of a flat battery.

2nd problem, the car has now done this 3 times, when you 1st cold start it runs very rough, like un-driveable rough, like maybe only on 2 cylinders. and if you put your foot on the throttle it just floods and dies. now if you leave it for a minute or 2 this clears up and another cylinder fires into life, then 5 or so minutes from the cold start all cylinders sound to fire up.

3rd problem the STOP light is on along with the engine management light that reads STOP in the middle of it

im also a little sceptical about the condition of the battery, so tomorrow i shall be putting in a known good battery to start with and getting my friend round with a code reader.

next thing is to check Coolant temp sensor and replace, as i think the above faults could be linked? although i understand clio misfiring seems pretty common, i will also check plugs, leads, coil pack etc.

thanks
lewis

BG 182
just fitted a known good battery, as soon as ignition was turned to stage 2 the fan kicked in, fired it up and was rough idling as mentioned above

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
is the car charging the battery ok? sometimes it takes a good long drive for the ecu to run self tests and restore its settings.

BG 182
well with the new battery fitted on start up there was no fault lights like before. i am yet to test the battery charging, multimeter isnt handy at the mo

BG 182
Just been out to it with new battery fitted. Started up and had all the above faults. Unplugged CTS, bridged it with some wire (not sure if it done anything) and plugged it Back in, fan stopped running and no Misfire. Is now running sweet with no fault lights. Can't get it diagnosed till Monday so not gonna drive it till then as if fan starts its gonna drain the battery while she is out shopping!!

172/1.2/E30
Faulty CTS telling your ECU that the coolant is too hot => fan kicks in and car runs to lean on cold start.

BG 182
thats what i thought, when the sensor goes open circuit it kicks the fan in. allday yesterday it was fine with no problems after i played around with the sensor. This morning i shall see if it happens again when the missus goes out. its going on diagnostics tomorrow and i will get a new sensor aswell