ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Attn Canon 40D or 24-105 F4 L owners

Cupra
Please can you do me a favour and post a couple of shots up with 100% and 200% crops at varying ISO's? They can be of anything.

I think I might be pixel peeping too much but I just want to know that my camera is not under performing.

Thanks!

Cupra
I'll take some pics this weekend. So far, the pictures just don't seem very sharp when you look at the 200% crop but maybe I am just expecting too much.

I have tried IS on, IS off, manual focus, autofocus, low ISO, fast shutter and it doesn't seem to matter. I was just curious to know how other people images compared.

I'll get snapping tonight & tomorrow and stick a load of samples up.

14' Leon Cupra 280
Is it your first dSLR? It all takes time to learn like any skill. By the sounds of it you've tried everything apart from possibly one of the main factors, the aperture. If you leave it on F4 you will get a softer image, so have a go moving from low to high in the same situation.

Cupra
Nope, I learnt with a film SLR many moons ago, I had the 350D for a year and a half too so I am fairly confident that it is not down to user error... although you never know! I also took a load of shots at f8 and f16 last night with the flash to test it but did not get a chance to go through them on the PC.

Tried both Raw and Jpeg too as Raw are notoriously less sharp due to the lack of camera processing. I think I am just looking too deep into the image TBH but it is just something that is nagging me.

Last edited:
D

dick

Nope, I learnt with a film SLR many moons ago, I had the 350D for a year and a half too so I am fairly confident that it is not down to user error... although you never know! I also took a load of shots at f8 and f16 last night with the flash to test it but did not get a chance to go through them on the PC.

Tried both Raw and Jpeg too as Raw are notoriously less sharp due to the lack of camera processing. I think I am just looking too deep into the image TBH but it is just something that is nagging me.

me thinks u typed that the wrong wasy round.

The difference in IQ between the 350D and 40D will be negligable if using good glass on both. Stopping down as far as f/16 may cause defraction.

Cupra
I borrowed somebodies 350D today and took a load of photos with the 40D and the 24-105 & 18-55 then the 350D with 24-105 and 18-55. It showed that I was just looking too closely at the photographs and that the lens is fine.

The 70-200 F4 L came out best of all though. It stands out from the 18-55 (no surprise there) & the 24-105.

I'll just have to not cross the 100% crop margin if I want to stay happy with the IQ. :)