ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AutoExpress talks to Ford's Man...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
behind the all new Focus ST and Fiesta ST... interesting comments regarding the competition. Skip to the last few questions for the interesting parts.

It's a hot hatch double take at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Not only has Ford revealed the Focus ST but also a 'concept' for the new Fiesta ST. Auto Express spoke to the man behind the two models, global director of performance vehicles, Jost Capito.
What was your goal with the new Focus ST?
We want to have the best hot hatch in the sector. We want to be better than a VW Golf GTI, better than a Renaultsport Megane 250 - and we believe we have achieved that with a car that can be used day-to-day but is also extremely entertaining for enthusiastic drivers. For the first time, the Focus ST will be sold as a global sports car – and that was an additional challenge. But we know that what works in the UK and Europe will work in the US too.

Are you happy with the adoption of a four-cylinder engine? Does the 2.0-litre Ecoboost unit have the character of the old five-cylinder ST's?
First of all, let me say that the new 247bhp 2.0-litre turbocharged unit is an excellent unit – and a very different engine to the one that has already been seen in the Mondeo. It has required extensive engineering to operate at a very high performance level throughout the world. We were all big fans of the last ST – it was a very 'harmonic' car thanks to its five-cylinder engine, but we believe the new engine sounds just as good. We have tuned the exhaust system and added a sound symposer to enhance the induction noise that enters the cabin under hard acceleration. We have found a solution here that no-one else has – and we have got a great engine note as a result. I believe that induction noise is more important than exhaust noise, and that's what the driver benefits from. It sounds fantastic. Plus with a four-cylinder unit we have also made huge gains in fuel economy too.

The Focus ST features a host of chassis technologies such as Torque Steer Compensation (TSC), Cornering Understeer Control (CUSC), an aggressive torque vectoring system and a three-stage ESP system. Which one is most influential to the car's handling?
Without a doubt they all are. The art is to get them all to work together – and that was a tough job. But the result is a car that has the same philosophy as its predecessor. It has more power than the old ST but it has even better traction without the feeling of torque steer through the steering wheel. We know this because we have done lots of our testing on British B-roads as well as the roads around the Nurburgring in Germany so that it rides very comfortably without being harsh.

And the car is still agile and responsive?
Undoubtedly. The chassis technologies have allowed us to produce a car that is more agile than a VW Golf GTI and more adjustable. A good driver will be able to slide the car around when the systems are turned off – we have maintained the ST's throttle adjustability in cornering – while an average driver will not be intimidated.

How do you think sales will go in the UK? How much of a success will the ST Estate be in the UK?
Well, we are very confident about ST sales. The UK is the biggest market for ST – we sold 22,000 previous generation Focus ST models – and we believe we'll sell around 5,000 models a year of the new car when sales start next year. Of that, we believe 90 per cent will be five-door, with 10 per cent Estate. But that could change - there is no direct high volume compact fast estate.

If you have pushed the standard ST to 247bhp, how much more power can the chassis handle?
Well, the old RS went up to around 350bhp so there is always the possibility of more power. Certainly we have the technologies [such as the chassis control system including CUSC and TSC] to allow us to have more power but with control too.

Does that mean that an RS model is on the cards?

The RS brand is alive and well, that is all I can say! We will see what the future brings. We certainly have a lot of technology at our disposal.

And what was the goal with the Fiesta ST?
Essentially to produce a little brother for the Focus ST – it is as simple as that. We are aiming for 178bhp from a 1.6-litre turbocharged four-cylinder Ecoboost engine and that is a very specific target. We are not interested in trying to match rival models like the Renaultsport Clio 200, because we need the Fiesta ST to be affordable, to be cheap to insure and to do so in all markets. And anyway, the Fiesta is 100kg lighter than the Clio RS. I am convinced our car will be better to drive!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
For the continuous retarded souls, please bookmark this quote...

We are not interested in trying to match rival models like the Renaultsport Clio 200, because we need the Fiesta ST to be affordable, to be cheap to insure and to do so in all markets.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
For the continuous retarded souls, please bookmark this quote...

Ok, but isnt the ZetecS the affordable sporty fiesta? Like the GT is for the clio.

I think the ST range should aim to be as good as the Renault Sport range. Its the same market.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
They can't. The montune version will have a small stab at it but it'll still be cheaper to tax, insure and run than it's rivals.

The ST brand can't infringe in any way the RS brand whether they make another RS Focus/Fiesta or not. It was explained quite well when the ST brand was released years ago.

I'm a fanboi but I actually believe that ST Focus sounds quite a gamechanger.

Agreededed the Fiesta isn't pretty enough. It would work well in RS guise I think.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The Fiesta yes, the Focus, no. Estate and 5 door Hatchback.

So that's the RS Clio, 5 door and there was something else annouced recently that will be 5 door only.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'll never own a 5 door hot hatch.

If I'm forced to i'll have the back f*****s welded up.

When I'm ready for a 5 door car I'll give up on life and buy a diesel.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

If I'm forced to i'll have the back f**kers welded up.

Indeed, my Brother has a 3 door Focus and he has 2 little boys. He refuses to buy a 5 door. Simply no need at all.

I've had 3 Pumas since i've had my little un'.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

If I'm forced to i'll have the back f**kers welded up.

The new RenSport mk4 is rumoured to only be available in 5 door.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'd rather a five door myself. The doors on a three door car the size of a Focus are just massive. If I could have got a five door Focus ST I would have, but there were only three doors available. I do get why people prefer three doors though.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The new RenSport mk4 is rumoured to only be available in 5 door.

I know, I'm dont believe it will be. I think the normal clio may be 5 door, but I dont see the RS one being. But then again, can they justify designing a 3 door clio just for the RS minority...

Anyway, I wont get one.

Last edited:
Lol at people thinking Renault are bluffing about there being no 3-door Clio IV. If they decided tomorrow that there would be one, it would take at least 3 years to go from conception to build. It's not gonna happen, and it's for the same reasons as Focus III. Costs.

FYI the Fiesta ST is rubbish. Not fast enough and the Clio will decimate it everywhere, especially in teh twisties bro. In it.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
170-180 bhp in a fiesta will be a good all round car.The chassis will be sound as they have always been and it will give the clio a run without harming the ST/RS cars.

Im sure we would all love a 250bhp fiesta but it would kill the bigger cars with that power and would ultimately kill off sales.