ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

B14 Spring rate

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone know what the spring rate is on the B14 coilovers please?.

As looking to keep the front but put a pair of full coilovers on the rear,so want a good match with the fronts.Will just be for fast road use.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
So would it be ideal to have the same spring rate on a full coilover on the rear?.as its obvs a different type of spring compared to the full coilover set up.

Is 285 lbs the actual spring rate, or the rate at the hub? I suspect the latter.

Last edited:

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’ll caveat this with I’m no suspension expert, but when going from inboard spring to full coilover at the rear on a Clio, there is a change in motion ratio from 1.7:1 to 1:1.

IIRC, what this basically means is that a lesser spring rate is required for a full coilover to generate the same spring force at the wheel.

Have a search for ‘motion ratio’ on here, I believe Northloop Cup and others have explained it in the past much more eloquently than I can.

I tried a 450 lbs rear spring on a full coilover which was utterly undrivable on the road.

I went back to OEM fitment rear springs and separate dampers paired with front coilovers. I didn't see any advantage to a rear full coilover and was concerned that the rear turrets weren't up to the stresses that a coilover would bring.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Been looking at the BC series compared to my B14s,thinking to keep the B14 and have the fronts rebuilt and maybe fit a PMS rear arb is another option.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
What are you trying to achieve?
200.gif