ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

backfire/pops low revs first start

clio 182 :)
Hey all ive noticed when i let off in 2nd gear at 2-3,000rmp to slowdown for the top of my street the car will backfire or crackle and pop, i thought it was a one off till the other day i accelerated in 1st gear gentle changed to 2nd and took it to 2500 let off crackled and popped and did it again and again to make sure it wasn't a one off, ive noticed it stops doing it when the auto choke turns off and the revs drop back down to normal idle, is thi due to it over fuelling with the choke on ?

i presume the car has some sort of cold idle thats slightly richer than what it would be if it was warm or something along those lines , and it doesn't misfire it accelerates perfectly fine its when u let off it pops and crackles but only when its on cold idle 1200-1300 when its cold dropps down to just under 1000 after around 5-10mins :/

SQ5
Lol I know, but chokes are only used on a carbureted car! I was joking around.

Could be CTS, lambda or injector related. Best get it on a CLiP computer or other decent diagnostics.

:) , to be fair i think its is cts because it can be at temperature ages before it will let me have the raised revlimiter :/

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
totally standard 172 ph2 here and i notice that when warmed up and thrashing it i get a lot of pops n bangs on the over run. Is this normal?

Ph 1 172, Focus 1.6
yeah its decatted, but it did it before i fitted the decat just now its louder lol
Don't worry about it, mine does this as well when cold. If you lightly tap your accelerator whilst your off the power you'll get more pops and bangs. I believe it's over fueling whilst cold, mine is running a straight through and decat as well.