ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Backing Up iTunes Music And Selling CD Collection...

C3 Picasso Beast
Just wondering has anyone done the above and what you did to back up your CD collection/iTunes files?? What files/folders would I need to back up exactly and what have you stored them on i.e. disc, HD etc. Just seems pointless me having my CD collection just sitting there not getting used ever!

Thanks in advance...

Don't fully understand what you mean. Do you want to backup your iTunes files and music collection on your PC or rip all of your CDs to your PC?

C3 Picasso Beast
Sorry :eek:

Considering selling all my CDs that I've ripped to my PC as I don't use them so want to back up all the required files for iTunes from my PC onto whatever is best in case my PC screwed and I lost all my music.

Was wondering if anyone else has done the same and what I'd need to back up exactly along with what I'd be best to backup on to??

Hope this makes more sense...

The iTunes files themselves are normally in your 'Music --> iTunes' folder. This contains all the xml files etc.

Then you would need to backup the actual music files too.

When those two are backup up, you can restore you iTunes library should anything go wrong.

C3 Picasso Beast
Yup found the iTunes folder in that place Dan thanks.

Whole folder is 38.8 GB so guess it's going on a HD rather than some discs! If I just backup the whole iTunes folder I guess I can't go wrong then :)

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
My library is backed up on to an External HD. I've got about 190GB of music too, and I have a second library set up on my laptop too, so I can play them directly off of the HD there.

Lee

BMW M2C
You do realise that by selling the CDs you no longer own any of that music so your 'backup' is all pirated music.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
cs police are quick to respond.

technicaly he is right in what he says. however if you have proof of purchase then there is very little anyone could/ will do. (you could just claim they were stolen).

its a grey area in the music industry and i reckon you would be fairly safe in saving your music collection and just keeping it backed up on your laptop then external hard drive. bare in ming technology does break and i would never like to rely on a laptop and hard drive. if i was backing up i would have it on at least 2 - 3 hard drives and then my laptop too.

Lee

BMW M2C
Just pointing it out. I couldn't give a s**t what he does as.

cs police are quick to respond.

technicaly he is right in what he says. however if you have proof of purchase then there is very little anyone could/ will do. (you could just claim they were stolen).

its a grey area in the music industry and i reckon you would be fairly safe in saving your music collection and just keeping it backed up on your laptop then external hard drive. bare in ming technology does break and i would never like to rely on a laptop and hard drive. if i was backing up i would have it on at least 2 - 3 hard drives and then my laptop too.

Pointing out about 'CS Police' is the new fad for people when they're in the wrong.

If you only have 30GB's worth of music, that's going to be 50ish albums? For the less than £100 you'd get, there's zero point selling them.

Ahh fair enough. But unless they're super rare, you'll get pennies. So you might as well keep them. You've obviously bought them in the first place, so there's a decent amounts worth of money there.

Someone like musicmagpie will get you a tiny amount or if you can be arsed with the hassle, get slightly more on eBay.

Just did one on Music Magpie as a test..

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory - £0.30!

LOL!

C3 Picasso Beast
Can see your point if all I might get is 30p for a CD I probably paid nearly £10 for in the first place...I know things devalue but that takes the p***!