ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Backing up

172 Silver Cup
I have backed up all my pics on dvd's just wondering what the best online vaults are? I used one humno?? but where I hadnt uploaded any for a while it canceled my account. Anyone reccomend one?

Cupra
How about sticking them on an external drive and leaving it at your parents house (or somewhere the PC isn't). It would be quicker than uploading s**t loads of photos and will be easier to manage.

I've no idea how much these things cost, but a benefit of my SmugMug account is that all the pics are also stored on Amazon Vault, unlimited storage, bandwith etc. $40 a year and you obviously get a nice site to display your pics as well.

Rally bus
750Gb external drive in Maplin on offer at £69.99.

I back-up everything to external hard drives. Of course hard drives can fail so I've got at last one other copy of everything stored elsewhere.

I'm not sure I'd trust having stuff backed up online!

750Gb external drive in Maplin on offer at £69.99.

I back-up everything to external hard drives. Of course hard drives can fail so I've got at last one other copy of everything stored elsewhere.

I'm not sure I'd trust having stuff backed up online!

I've got a Western Digital MyBook as well, the fact that SmugMug back the pics up as well as displaying them all nicely for me is just a bonus (and should my house burn down or something, there is at least still a copy of everything somewhere).

Ideally would like to put them on DVD and put a copy at my parents or something, huge task though considering how quickly a DVD would be filled.

Cupra
...and the cost of all the DVDs mean that you would quickly cover the cost of an external drive that you could leave at your parents.

Oil Burner
...and the cost of all the DVDs mean that you would quickly cover the cost of an external drive that you could leave at your parents.

trouble with a hard drive is 'putting all your eggs in one basket' If it goes corrupt you have nothing.

Cupra
Not if is to be used as a backup. I have everything stored on my PC and once every couple of weeks, collect my external drive from my inlaws place, stick everything on it and take it back again. If my house burns down or my PC fries itself, I only loose a weeks worth of pics at most.

A mate of mine just dropped his external drive which he did not have a backup of and lost all the photos of his daughter from her first 4 years.... that is eggs in one basket.

106 GTi
All mine is backed up to an external hard drive and archived to DVD's as well. ideally I want another external drive too.

Megane Mk4
I back all mine up 3 times, one set on a working HD, one on a Storage drive that's accessible via a HD caddy on my pc (which gets pulled out and stored when not in use), and optical DVD backup. Although sometimes no matter what you do, any can fail.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Look into a Drobo.

The only box it doens't tick is being offsite. DVDs only have a certain lifespan too so it's not ideal putting things you couldn't live without on optical media for long term storage.