ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bad smell from heater following cold weather

Clio Trophy
Hi guys

I hadn't driven my Trophy since Friday and went out this morning to fire her up prior to the morning commute. I turned the heaters onto full and set to the windscreen to clear the ice that had built up and went back indoors. I returned to my car after a few minutes and whilst there was nothing unusual going on outside the car, once I stepped inside I was greeted with a horrible smell, almost like fish/burning!

My initial thought was that the coolant had frozen and the car was overheating but this was not the case. Also, the temperatue gauge on the dash was not reading any higher than usual. I turned the heaters off and drove for a few minutes with the windows down and the smell started to clear. I then turned the heaters back on to see if it would return and it did!

Any ideas as to what this could be? I don't have air-con so could it just be that snow or something has got into the heater area and is just burning off?

Cheers

Titanium 182
Maybe a cat crawled in after you parked it to get warm then burnt to your radiator.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Bloody hell, I thought I was the only one.

I was driving along one day, and all of a sudden, rotting fish/meat smell stunk my car out.

Had a valet inside, all sorts, and it never cleared it.

It comes now and again, and its vile.

Really wanna find out what this is.

Clio Trophy
Just had a bit more of a search and it could be that some antifreeze/coolant has leaked slightly and burnt. It seems a bit of a coincidence that it's happened now following the Artic conditions that we've had over the past few days! Hopefully it'll sort itself out when it gets a bit warmer.

Clio Trophy
Well, just been back out and fired the heater up and, fingers crossed, the smell appears to have subsided! I'm hoping it was just a temporary problem, possibly down to the freezing temperatures? Possibly that the coolant tank expanded and caused some of the fluid to escape the tank and get into the heating system?