ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bad time to sell??

RB 182
It's a 172 (53 plate), but there are hardly any (if any at all!!) with as low mileage on as mine on Pistonheads, and there's a fair few with a lot more miles on than mine that are asking alot more than me aswell hence the reason I thought mine was priced about right??!!

I bought my 2005 FF 182 with both cup packs in RB for £3100, its done 72k but has had the belts and dephaser done aswell as a FSH all straight just a bit grubby inside, so i think £3k sounds a little dear to me (but i'm no expert)

Black/Gold V6 255
I bought my 2005 FF 182 with both cup packs in RB for £3100, its done 72k but has had the belts and dephaser done aswell as a FSH all straight just a bit grubby inside, so i think £3k sounds a little dear to me (but i'm no expert)

That's a fair few more miles than mine's done though matey, surely that counts for alot having done over 21k miles less!! Anyway, I'm luckily not in a rush to sell so will just persevere with it and see if I get any interest at this price for now rather than being too hasty and just giving it away

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
£3000 is too expensive for a 172.

Thats 182 money.

The reason your car hasn't sold is because its too expensive. You can argue with me, but you'd be wasting your time. If somethings not sold, its because someone has found one cheaper. Not nesasarily (sp) better, but they've found a cheaper one.

Reduce it, get rid of it.

Black/Gold V6 255
£3000 is too expensive for a 172.

Thats 182 money.

The reason your car hasn't sold is because its too expensive. You can argue with me, but you'd be wasting your time. If somethings not sold, its because someone has found one cheaper. Not nesasarily (sp) better, but they've found a cheaper one.

Reduce it, get rid of it.

My original post was stating that NONE of them seem to be selling at the mo though, not even the cheap ones!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you put that car on autotrader for £2000 do you think it would sell?

Of course you know it will sell which is why you haven't put it on there for £2000. Because YOU think its worth more than that.

Black/Gold V6 255
I think you're getting a bit carried away now Daniel mate, stop stressing about it!! I was merely stating that not many RS Clio's, no matter what the price, seem to be selling at the mo, that's all :rasp:

Astra Twintop
People who sell their cars on forums, always add "Forum Tax".

Daniel sells cars for a living, he knows.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think you're getting a bit carried away now Daniel mate, stop stressing about it!! I was merely stating that not many RS Clio's, no matter what the price, seem to be selling at the mo, that's all :rasp:

Ha! I'm not stressed (much) today.

They will sell if they're cheap enough. Thats fact.

If your car hasn't sold it's because it's too expensive.

Not sure why that's a hard thing to grasp for some people.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
some people when it comes to selling their pride and joy price it as they value it, usually more than its worth. example, my old classic uk impreza turbo has just been put up for sale, at the same price i sold it for 4 years ago. because the seller thinks that its worth it, but the used classic impreza market is fucked, and he wont sell it at that price, which started at 4995 now hes dropped it to 4500, its a 99 t plate, going by the market its worth more like 3500 max. fuel costs and insurance prices have destroyed the performance car market just like insurance did back in 1990 because of theft of hot hatches. back then u could buy a sierra cosworth for 2 grand, now the same car is selling for 7 grand. cant ever see this happening with a clio but i would never sell my ph1 for the current market value of circa 1500 or less.

6/468 17poo
There is a 172 cup outside my house (not mine) and looks pretty mint its for sale £2200 ONO i thought that was mega cheap havent checked out mileage yet but it doesnt have a splitter... cars have dropped massively and a French big engined car is not going to be on everyones mind with silly petrol prices! Great for track cars tho! just look at the cost of tax £245, crazy!

It is because we are 'unofficially' in a depression.

Next they print money.

Then we get world war and lots of people die.

By then car prices will be the last of your worries.

Black/Gold V6 255
Well I've just sold it and took £2900 for it so I wasn't too far off the mark with my valuation from the start! So to all you who said "£3000 is far too expensive, that's 182 money" etc etc.......:butt: :rasp:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but the for sale ads on this forum never cease to amaze me...

£6999 No offers.

One week later, £6750 ono.

One week later, £6500 NO OFFERS!

One month later, £6250 FINAL PRICE

Two months later £6000

In the time its taken them to get to this point, the car has dropped in the book by about £300 a month, they've managed to make themselves look desperate and makes people wonder why they have to keep reducing it.

If it was priced properly in the first place, it would have sold. Instead you have a nice french garden ornament thats costing you money every time your alarm clock goes off in the morning.

Like I said, not aimed at anyone, just this forums for sale section in general.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR

I've certainly noticed.

Remember that Corsa VXR that is floating around in there? It has been reduced and reduced, still not sold. I think it has gone down in price about 8 or 9 times now. It certainly does look desperate.

BMW 330D
This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but the for sale ads on this forum never cease to amaze me...

£6999 No offers.

One week later, £6750 ono.

One week later, £6500 NO OFFERS!

One month later, £6250 FINAL PRICE

Two months later £6000

In the time its taken them to get to this point, the car has dropped in the book by about £300 a month, they've managed to make themselves look desperate and makes people wonder why they have to keep reducing it.

If it was priced properly in the first place, it would have sold. Instead you have a nice french garden ornament thats costing you money every time your alarm clock goes off in the morning.

There was a really smart 182 for sale not too long ago the bloke put somthing like "final reduction 3250 no point in selling otherwise" a week later "3000" made me cringe.

I personally cant see prices dropping much now. Famous last words.... lol

A 172 on a 2003 plate is now the same money as a 1999 106 GTI

I paid over £6000 for my RB 182 back in the summer of 2009 - prices nose-dived soon after lol

Cant see 182's dropping much less than £2500 in the next few years - that is when I may invest in another

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I may invest in another

steamloller2.gif

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Anyone 'investing' in a mass produced french car needs to re-asses their investment knowledge.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Disagre Daniel, I'd say a Trophy in a few years bought for say, £4500 will go up in value.

Possibly.

Unlikely. The reality is that a Trophy for that money now will have a few miles on the clock (or other skeletons) and anyone willing to pay big money in the future, will want very low mileage as a must, putting aside arguments over low v high mileage. That is life unfortunately. Big spenders will be more choosy.

Unlikely. The reality is that a Trophy for that money now will have a few miles on the clock (or other skeletons) and anyone willing to pay big money in the future, will want very low mileage as a must, putting aside arguments over low v high mileage. That is life unfortunately. Big spenders will be more choosy.

I meant £4500 in a few years mate - not today.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I meant £4500 in a few years mate - not today.

You may be right. It will be a very narrow window though, as "eye-catching" low milers will generally fetch a fair bit more than £4,500 for a while.
I'm not a low miles snob by the way but you know the drill - "Wanted, Trophy, must be low miles, one owner, full Renault service history ...."

You may be right. It will be a very narrow window though, as "eye-catching" low milers will generally fetch a fair bit more than £4,500 for a while.
I'm not a low miles snob by the way but you know the drill - "Wanted, Trophy, must be low miles, one owner, full Renault service history ...."

Problem with RS's imo is that they are being replaced by the new'er model/face lift too often.

172 replaced by the 182 after a few years - resulting in 172's being worth naff all
182 replced my hte 197 after a few years - resulting in 182's being worth naff all.....
197 replaced by the 200, you get the idea.

When the new RS comes out next year, the 200 will be worth £6000 in a few years after - just like the 197 is now...

Its a never-ending cycle.

Stagecoach Ticket
Dan is 100% right

My car has been for sale a week and my emails havent stopped

Cheap price > Fast sale
High price > Long wait
Normal price > Luck of the draw

Stagecoach Ticket
Guess so but new car sales must warrant it though. Plus they are much cheaper new than things like Golf’s and 1 series.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Not everycar, although I see where your coming from..

My last Golf GTI was out 5 years before a new'er facelift came out - the MK6.

Renault seem to bring out a new "numbered" RS every 2 to 3 years...

There are a number of factors to this.
High depreciation probably doesn't help as there is a logical downward squeeze on prices of older models and only rare/limited versions can resist against newer models.
I guess this is partly down to a perception that they are unreliable, wear quickly and so after about 5 years, the bottom falls out of the prices.

Compare to a mk5 Golf GTI and from what I have seen, they seem to hold their value much better. For a while after launch, they were selling for a premium and held close to list for many months later.
MINI is another one that holds serious value. Doesn't seem to be a shortage of them but they seem to do it. Can't explain it really. Something to do with target audience and their willingness to pay a premium perhaps, I don't know.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
My last Golf GTI was out 5 years before a new'er facelift came out - the MK6.

Renault seem to bring out a new "numbered" RS every 2 to 3 years...

Perhaps thats because the type of people that buy a golf gti dont actually care whether its any good or not? Whereas the buyers of RenaultSport's are keen, & often enthusiastic drivers, who welcome things like improved steering feel & dynamic ability, so Renault have to keep on top of their game ...

Perhaps thats because the type of people that buy a golf gti dont actually care whether its any good or not? Whereas the buyers of RenaultSport's are keen, & often enthusiastic drivers, who welcome things like improved steering feel & dynamic ability, so Renault have to keep on top of their game ...

Now now, thats a whole other can of worms... 182>197 iirc ;)