ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery drain testing

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I think ive got a battery drain problem, if left for a couple of weeks without being driven it will often struggle to start or worse.

So with a few days off before Christmas I've tried to test it with a fully charged (new last year) battery and my multimeter inline between negative lead and terminal but I'm getting no readout on the highest 20A setting or the mA range. I e double checked with a spare meter but same result. What's that all about?

Also to add insult my clock has gone into Back to the Future mode😫

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yeah amps DC, tried on the high range and low with both meters. I'm sure it must be me though, I did watch a few YouTube videos first

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182

Attachments

• 20191223_163008.jpg
    20191223_163008.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 50

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yeah looks right.

You're getting no reading at all?

Daft question but is the positive lead still connected on the battery :ROFLMAO:
Yeah still connected, I cant have blown the fuse in both meters surely, set them both to highest settings first.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I might just drive it more often so the battery doesnt get a chance to drain!

Not liking the hours going by by the second on the clock now, I know time seems to go by faster as you age but this takes the p!ss

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
That's a good shout, try it tomorrow. Could it be that the drain is lower than my meter tests and I dont have as much of a problem as I thought?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
That's a good shout, try it tomorrow. Could it be that the drain is lower than my meter tests and I dont have as much of a problem as I thought?

There will be some drain, but it will be in the mA range. Your meter looks a decent one so it shouldn't have a problem reading the lowest of readings.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
There will be some drain, but it will be in the mA range. Your meter looks a decent one so it shouldn't have a problem reading the lowest of readings.
Yeah I didn't overly cheap out on it, about £20 rather than a £4.99 thing

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Tried that too then gave up in a bit of a strop, not even getting a flicker on the readings. Just cant believe two meters can be faulty, I really scratched the probes into the post and terminal too to make sure I han a clean contact.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Tried that too then gave up in a bit of a strop, not even getting a flicker on the readings. Just cant believe two meters can be faulty, I really scratched the probes into the post and terminal too to make sure I han a clean contact.

Not sure if it makes a difference but did you try it with the probes either way round, like black to battery and red to the lead and vice versa.

Take the fuse out and use the multimeter to measure resistance. Should be a few ohms. Borrow a 5A/13A fuse from any household plug if you have to.

Assume you’ve got this covered, but current must be measured in series.

Positive terminal stays on battery. Negative terminal disconnected from battery. Multimeter “bridges” the gap between negative terminal on battery and negative on loom.

Trying to measure current in parallel (directly across the terminals like you’d measure voltage) or trying to measure current with the engine running/starting will blow the fuse.

Iirc 182s draw something like 40mA for the first 15 seconds after the doors are closed and interior lights are still on/alarm is arming, then dips to something like 10mA. Obviously equipment level & anything aftermarket could cause it to vary but the point is it should be tens, not hundreds, of mA.

P.s fuses burn relatively slowly, I’ve permanently damaged a multimeter before by drawing more than its rated current, even though it was fused correctly. Voltage & resistance still worked but current no longer read correctly.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Take the fuse out and use the multimeter to measure resistance. Should be a few ohms. Borrow a 5A/13A fuse from any household plug if you have to.

Assume you’ve got this covered, but current must be measured in series.

Positive terminal stays on battery. Negative terminal disconnected from battery. Multimeter “bridges” the gap between negative terminal on battery and negative on loom.

Trying to measure current in parallel (directly across the terminals like you’d measure voltage) or trying to measure current with the engine running/starting will blow the fuse.

Iirc 182s draw something like 40mA for the first 15 seconds after the doors are closed and interior lights are still on/alarm is arming, then dips to something like 10mA. Obviously equipment level & anything aftermarket could cause it to vary but the point is it should be tens, not hundreds, of mA.
The first paragraph, which fuse do you mean me to take out?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
The 12A fuse had blown, dont know why as I had it set on the highest range. Ordered some new glass fuses

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've carried out a battery drain test to try and find my problem circuit, found it quite quickly. Is this the hazard switch?

Attachments

• 20191231_140134.jpg
    20191231_140134.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 49

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'll start by disconnecting the radio and autochanger see what that does

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yeah I think that's the one too.

I take it the lights and radio aren't on when you lock the car?
No but as the light is fading here I've noticed this, one half of the clock display is faintly lit so I'm certain it must be that

Attachments

• 15778072172315937705805118947800.jpg
    15778072172315937705805118947800.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 30

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Maybe these cut wires from a removed aftermarket head unit?

Attachments

• 15778073581398353819339182640139.jpg
    15778073581398353819339182640139.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 33

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Dash top off again I think, I'll see how my head feels tomorrow morning. I'm getting somewhere though

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Ive had the dash top off today and found a poor connection on the clock causing the back to the future clock and semi backlighting but also the interior light had some tarnished contacts.

Once these were all cleaned up I've got the draw down to 0.063 Amps, is that within acceptable margins? It was up at around previously

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yeah that's fine.

63 milliamp isn't much, some modern cars will draw 150mA and that's classed as acceptable.
Cheers matey, I'm quite pleased I've found the source of it. Not many issue left to sort out now and they are mostly cosmetic.

Back to these cut wires, they go into an insulation wrapped loom that hangs under the glovebox so as everything else seems ok I'm assuming they are from a previous head unit and can be ignored.

Only other oddity is two wires clamped under two fuses going into the engine bay fuse box

Attachments

• 20200105_105713.jpg
    20200105_105713.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 51

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers matey, I'm quite pleased I've found the source of it. Not many issue left to sort out now and they are mostly cosmetic.

Back to these cut wires, they go into an insulation wrapped loom that hangs under the glovebox so as everything else seems ok I'm assuming they are from a previous head unit and can be ignored.

Only other oddity is two wires clamped under two fuses going into the engine bay fuse box

Just stick a bit of tape over the ends of those cut wires, just so they don't come into contact with anything. Should be fine.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.

That looks like the wiring for the aftermarket alarm.. is it also bundled/taped up to the black and red pair which goes to the LED in the centre console? If so then its definitely the alarm loom and nothing to worry about.. Just stagger cut the wires neatly and tape and forget..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182

That looks like the wiring for the aftermarket alarm.. is it also bundled/taped up to the black and red pair which goes to the LED in the centre console? If so then its definitely the alarm loom and nothing to worry about.. Just stagger cut the wires neatly and tape and forget..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Yeah goes into the loom with the black and red alarm wires, the alarm is still working though as it woke me up at 3am the other day! All taped up now so I may just pretend I never saw it.