ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery Flat, Worth attempting to recharge? I also need a recommendation on a toolkit

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
The car hasn't been driven in a while and the STOP and battery lights are illuminated, so should the battery be replaced or should i attempt to recharge it?

I need to either buy the battery or a recharger. Can a memory saver device powered by a 9V battery keep the computer data until i pull and change the battery?

I'm expecting to recharge it for 5 hours from a 6A battery charger, this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-7416-Battery-Charger-1800cc/dp/B0036LBPHW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Can anyone recommend a toolkit to use for replacing the battery, i think i need a wrench and an extender. Preferably from amazon or halfords.

Thanks.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Re: Battery Flat, Worth attempting to recharge? I also need a recommendation on a too

I'd try some jump leads on it first mate before spending any money

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Re: Battery Flat, Worth attempting to recharge? I also need a recommendation on a too

why are you worried about the computer data? I just remove my battery, charge it up and put it back when charged. I think your overthinking it.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me

If it starts just take it for a decent run out, if it hasn't been driven for a while it'll do it good. you're over thinking it

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

If it starts just take it for a decent run out, if it hasn't been driven for a while it'll do it good. you're over thinking it

definitely! probably thinks his keys will stop working if he cuts the power for a period of time...

Clio 2, 1.2 16V

definitely! probably thinks his keys will stop working if he cuts the power for a period of time...

Won't the computer need to be reset if power is lost?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me

You're over complicating it. Try jump start it mate and if it doesn't work , come back on here and we'll point you in right direction what to do next :)

Clio 2, 1.2 16V

I'm still afraid of stalling it, so i don't want to drive it with a low battery.

So can you please tell me which tools i need or even just give a link to ebay/amazon/halfords?

banther

ClioSport Club Member

Jesus f**king christ.

Just jump start it and leave the engine running.

Maybe sit in the car with the engine running, garage door closed, a couple of bin bags at the base of your garage door for a good 30 mins.

That'll sort out all your problems.

Jesus f**king christ.

Just jump start it and leave the engine running.

Maybe sit in the car with the engine running, garage door closed, a couple of bin bags at the base of your garage door for a good 30 mins.

That'll sort out all your problems.

You're a grim person ain't you. lol

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

Won't the computer need to be reset if power is lost?

No. My 1.2 has been sitting without a battery for the last 10months. Went to start it last week (put the battery back in) and it started first time! Every time someone does serious work on your car they will disconnect the battery. I disconnect the battery in my 182 every time I take the dash off, never had any problems with the ECU.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V

No. My 1.2 has been sitting without a battery for the last 10months. Went to start it last week (put the battery back in) and it started first time! Every time someone does serious work on your car they will disconnect the battery. I disconnect the battery in my 182 every time I take the dash off, never had any problems with the ECU.

Thanks, i'll do it without

Clio 2, 1.2 16V

Can you charge it in system? some say yes and others say no, is it like a yes only if ... situation?

Clio 2, 1.2 16V

Wikipedia had the answer

The capacity of a lead–acid battery is not a fixed quantity but varies according to how quickly it is discharged. An empirical relationship exists between discharge rate and capacity, known as Peukert's law.When a battery is charged or discharged, this initially affects only the reacting chemicals, which are at the interface between the electrodes and the electrolyte. With time, the charge stored in the chemicals at the interface, often called "interface charge", spreads bydiffusion of these chemicals throughout the volume of the active material.
If a battery has been completely discharged (such as by leaving the car lights on overnight) and then is given a fast charge for only a few minutes, the battery plates charge only near the interface between plate and electrolyte. The battery voltage may rise to be close to the charger voltage so that the charging current decreases significantly. After a few hours this interface charge will spread to the volume of the electrode and electrolyte, leading to an interface charge so low that it may be insufficient to start the car.[SUP][9][/SUP]
On the other hand, if the battery is given a slow charge, which takes longer, then the battery will become more fully charged. During a slow charge the interface charge has time to redistribute to the volume of the electrodes and electrolyte, while being replenished by the charger. The battery voltage remains below the charger voltage throughout this process allowing charge to flow into the battery.
Similarly, if a battery is subject to a fast discharge (such as starting a car, a current draw of more than 100 amps) for a few minutes, it will appear to go dead, exhibiting reduced voltage and power. However, it may have only lost its interface charge. If the discharge is halted for a few minutes the battery may resume normal operation at the appropriate voltage and power for its state of discharge. On the other hand, if a battery is subject to a slow, deep discharge (such as leaving the car lights on, a current draw of less than 7 amps) for hours, then any observed reduction in battery performance is likely permanent.

I pulled the battery and am now charging at 4A, worth a gamble

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

Sorry but I have never known someone query how to charge a car battery so much! Are you an obsessive worrier? If you choose to charge it up in the car, make sure you lights etc are all off so they don't sap the power from the charger and slow the battery charging process. Also make sure the voltage output of the charger does not exceed 14.4v else damage may be caused to the ECU etc.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V

Sorry but I have never known someone query how to charge a car battery so much! Are you an obsessive worrier? If you choose to charge it up in the car, make sure you lights etc are all off so they don't sap the power from the charger and slow the battery charging process. Also make sure the voltage output of the charger does not exceed 14.4v else damage may be caused to the ECU etc.

I like to know stuff.

I've pulled it out today, its already charging, not in the car any longer.

so at 2A it should take 2.5-3 days right?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

depends on the condition of the battery. I would be charging it at 4A like you said in your previous post (which I missed the first time around) and putting it back in the car tomorrow, then taking it for a run and let the alternator do the rest as it charges at a much higher amperage than that. If you take it for a hour drive it will be fine. As you have charged it up overnight, you will also be able to start it if you stall (as you were worried about this). TBH after about 5mins of running (with the revs above 2.5Krmp), the battery will have enough juice the star the car again no problem.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V

The battery was useless, never charged beyond 10.5V, got a replacement.

Tool sets i used, From Amazon:

• Silverline SP1236 12 Piece, 8-19 mm Combination Spanner Set
  • Silverline 598440 1/4 Inch 3 Piece Extension Bar Set
  • Rolson 36109 40 Piece Socket Set
Needed the ratchet, 13mm socket and all 3 extensions to remove the bolt holding the battery. Battery was 063, but i think it could have taken a larger one.

Hope this helps anyone looking for tools.