ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery issue? Alternator issue, or..

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Not on my clio, on my girlfriends corsa 1.2 sxi (2002).

It sometimes struggles to start, turns over a few times very slowly, then finally starts. When on full lock her power is 'sucked away' and sometimes the steering wheel jumps as if it is losing power steering and EPAS light comes on the dash, and headlights and dash lights go dim.

It had a new battery a few weeks ago. Im no mechanic..

Clio 172 Merc ML55
If it's already had a new battery then there's 3 things I'd start off checking, alternator, starter motor and their wiring back to battery including the earth points as well

Clio 172 Merc ML55
You're looking for 14.4 ish volts from alternator with the car running, after that I'd go to wiring and looking for any damage or corrosion (green powdered surface to exposed copper) or rusted earth points, basically anything that doesn't look nice and clean can affect either or both power and earth.

If all the above is ok then I'd move towards it being a starter problem, however if when the new battery was installed the problems went away briefly I'd expect it to be a problem with either of the above rather than the starter motor itself