ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best car ever made?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
To me, my MK5 Golf GTI is the best car ever made. Fast, Reliable, Comfortable, economical, handles well, looks awesome (without being a chavvy ford/vauxhall shouty big bodykit bollocking thing). Pretty much does everything you ever need in a car.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
landrover defender! almost brilliant at everything.

shame they are discontinuing it for the horrid looking new shape defender :(

Turbos.
landrover defender! almost brilliant at everything.

shame they are discontinuing it for the horrid looking new shape defender :(

Love Defenders but it is hardly a daily, plenty wrong with them. Personally i'd say the Range Rover Classic (not the awkward LSE) trumps the Defender. Still awesome off road, but with big, comfy captain chairs up front and easy to live with day-to-day. I'd take one just before they did the Anniversary facelift.

Not sure it is the best car ever made, but the one car i'd live with happily is a Cayenne. They've just launched the V8 Diesel and for me it is pretty much perfection. They look good, fast, relatively economical, will go round corners despite their bulk, will go anywhere, supreme interiors....just can't fault them.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
For me it's the E46 M3 (not just because I have one)!

Fast, economical enough to justify, special to drive, big boot, can travel with 5 in complete comfort, all the toys, great looks.
Could also argue the point with an RS4 avant but I think I'd rather the M3.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Love Defenders but it is hardly a daily, plenty wrong with them. Personally i'd say the Range Rover Classic (not the awkward LSE) trumps the Defender. Still awesome off road, but with big, comfy captain chairs up front and easy to live with day-to-day. I'd take one just before they did the Anniversary facelift.

Not sure it is the best car ever made, but the one car i'd live with happily is a Cayenne. They've just launched the V8 Diesel and for me it is pretty much perfection. They look good, fast, relatively economical, will go round corners despite their bulk, will go anywhere, supreme interiors....just can't fault them.

You do have a very good point. I only original thought of the defender after all the history they entail, wars and all.

The range rover beats it by miles on comfort. But for robust ( sp ) cant beat abit of old english engineering. Rivited metal! Everything on show nothing to hide. Just a honest metal shed on a chasis.

Unless we start talking of chelsea tractor versons then big no no

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For me it's the E46 M3 (not just because I have one)!

Fast, economical enough to justify, special to drive, big boot, can travel with 5 in complete comfort, all the toys, great looks.
Could also argue the point with an RS4 avant but I think I'd rather the M3.

Surely the e92 m3 betters it in pretty much every way though? Can't think of anything better about the e46 other than it being cheaper?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Surely the e92 m3 betters it in pretty much every way though? Can't think of anything better about the e46 other than it being cheaper?

Well there's the usual argument on old v new (as with 182/197/200 on here) but I think the E46 is a chunk cheaper to run day to day, as well as being cheaper from the outset, and supposedly much better and more fun to drive.
To be honest I probably just should have said M3 in general.

Rusty Cup
Star-wars-art-car3.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well there's the usual argument on old v new (as with 182/197/200 on here) but I think the E46 is a chunk cheaper to run day to day, as well as being cheaper from the outset, and supposedly much better and more fun to drive.
To be honest I probably just should have said M3 in general.

Personally if having an m3 money no object it would be an m3 e30 Evo.
E46 is ok but it's just a middle aged one with neither the comforts of the newer ones or the amazing drive of the old ones.

Tbh if going for a six cylinder one I'd go for an e36 m3gt or a csl, the regular e46 are just a bit too middle of the road. Good cars but not amazing.

Last edited:
  S3 Sportback, Ninja
Personally if having an m3 money no object it would be an m3 e30 Evo.
E46 is ok but it's just a middle aged one with neither the comforts of the newer ones or the amazing drive of the old ones.

Tbh if going for a six cylinder one I'd go for an e36 m3gt or a csl, the regular e46 are just a bit too middle of the road. Good cars but not amazing.

Middle of the road? They are the benchmark of performance cars for their era. I agree the CSL is obviously better but for day to day driving the 'normal' M3 is more practical with having children in the back etc and not kicking the carbon fibre panals, no radio on some models etc etc. Reading some of your previous posts you clearly know cars but to say something like an M3 is middle of the road is ludicrous, what can cart 4 adults around in comfort, relatively large boot decent MPG and not ludicrous running costs and in standard form set a good time around any race track? Without being as big as say a 5 series? The only thing that comes close is an rs4, and my freind has one and it does 12mpg and 2.5k for front discs! The m3 is imo a master of all trades.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Middle of the road? They are the benchmark of performance cars for their era. I agree the CSL is obviously better but for day to day driving the 'normal' M3 is more practical with having children in the back etc and not kicking the carbon fibre panals, no radio on some models etc etc. Reading some of your previous posts you clearly know cars but to say something like an M3 is middle of the road is ludicrous, what can cart 4 adults around in comfort, relatively large boot decent MPG and not ludicrous running costs and in standard form set a good time around any race track? Without being as big as say a 5 series? The only thing that comes close is an rs4, and my freind has one and it does 12mpg and 2.5k for front discs! The m3 is imo a master of all trades.

I didn't rise to it mate, but agree with you 100%!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Middle of the road?

Yes mate, as m3's go (read my post again i was talking about how an e46 fits in the m3 spectrum) with the e30 Evo being the trackday end of the scale and the e92 being the comfy end of the scale the e46 is the middle of the road imho. Although like I said I do think the csl is a marked improvement.
Obviously we all have different opinions on what makes a great car but to me a jack of all trades but true master of none isn't it. I'd sooner have 10/10 for some things and 6/10 for others than compromise to 8/10 for everything.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
No car is 10/10 in every dept but in my opinion I cannot think of anything that 'tops' the m3 for doing everything so well. I am open to be corrected though. Yes an Lotus Exige will handle better, a 911 turbo is faster, an x5 will carry more but this thread was over all best car, and I stand by my decision as it being a fantastic all rounder and considered by a hell of alot of petrol heads as one of the best cars (if not ever) certainly on sale today as an all rounder.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No car is 10/10 in every dept but in my opinion I cannot think of anything that 'tops' the m3 for doing everything so well. I am open to be corrected though. Yes an Lotus Exige will handle better, a 911 turbo is faster, an x5 will carry more but this thread was over all best car, and I stand by my decision as it being a fantastic all rounder and considered by a hell of alot of petrol heads as one of the best cars (if not ever) certainly on sale today as an all rounder.

You have completely missed my point. I am saying that to me personally (as this is opinion after all) the best car shouldnt be something thats just pretty good at most things, I would sooner have something like an E30 M3 Evo that is an epic trackday weapon even though its nowhere near as nice on the road for example, to me the "best" car should at least be very very good at one thing that interests me, rather than just pretty good at everything.
I like E46 M3's and I agree they are they are competant all rounders, but to me the "best" car should at least be very good at something that I find interesting like trackdays, and then I can always just use a 320D or something for all the mundane rubbish like commuting etc.

If you can only own 1 car then an M3 isnt a bad option, and TBH neither is a 172 which does most things very well too and is cheaper to run.

Depends if you are answering "best" as meaning what car would you most like in your garage of cars, or what car would you put up with as your only car ever, if that was the question then an M3 E46 or a 172 would both be ok for me.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
I know what your saying mate, I just don't think the 'best car ever made' can be a one trick pony. If it can be ill take a Sagaris. Me personally I am 25 with 2 children a motorbike a house to run etc etc I cannot afford more than 1 car, so therefore for my set of circumstances an m3 is perfect. Everyone is going to have different needs/priorities from a car I am just being realistic imo. Hell if I was minted I would probably have amoungst other things an e30 m3 but for 90 percent of my driving ill stick to the e46, well maybe e92 if I was minted ;)

Turbos.
Why an R34? It does certain things very badly...lol.

Lets wait for the new Range Rover. Not only will it be the best 'normal' vehicle you can buy to go off road, but otherwise it is like driving a Bentley. To appease Scoot, it is a class or overall leader in some areas, and competent at everything else it does. Or i should say, it will be when it is released!