ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best email account?

Hi all,

I am having probs with my hotmail account as I don't think it supports push on my iphone. S I was wonderin if there are ay better account out there i.e Gmail etc??

Thnaks

Tesla MP3 2021
I have been using Gmail for a couple of years now. Never any issues, no spam at all and works great with the iPhone.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd say gmail. Hotmail has daft filters on so some mail never gets through! Hotmail has none and is far easier to intergrate with phones and pop3!

Ok thanks guys.

Does Gmail do the following...If I were to open an email on my PC and then delete it, then open my iphone and go into my emails would the email still be there as it hasn't been deleted on my iphone only my PC as I hate this about hotmail?

E87 118d M Sport
yes charlieboy. if i delete an email in gmail on my iphone, then load up gmail on the pc, the deleted email is gone.

E87 118d M Sport
Tom is saying "No, gmail doesn't do what hotmail does as gmail is IMAP based"

I am saying " Yes, gmail does what you want it too"

DMS

A thirsty 172
Gmail can be configured to use POP3 or IMAP. If you want to leave copies of messages on one device while deleting them from the other, you need to use POP3. But in your case you want the mail on the devices to be "synchronised", so you need to configure the phone to use IMAP. If you let the phone set up the email account for you it'll default to IMAP.
Gmail now has push support for iPhones. Plenty of guides on the internet if you want true push email (if you use an IMAP account it will only sync periodically - i.e; not true push email).
MobileMe is also a good alternative, but you have to pay for it. Probably worth it though since you do get more than just an email account.

So how much better is Gmail than Hotmail?
I've never had any issues with hotmail, but others had. Is it worth the change?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
on the subject of gmail, i have already have a gmail account, is it poss to set up a second account? I have tried to set up another one but no luck, if so how do you do it?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
on the subjest of gmail, i have already have a gmail account. is it possible to have a second account, i have tried but no luck, if so how do you do it?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
i have already have a gmail account, i have tried to add another account with no luck, how do i add another?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
stupid computer, i posted it and it wouldnt update so i posted again, same thing happened so i posted again and now there all on.

Please delete the last 22,23 and this one 24 thanks

Last edited:
  Bus w**ker
Skinny the answer is a s**t ton loads. After god knows how many years I've finally got sick of hotmail and it's w**k junk mail filters and am currently going through the process of moving everything over to gmail. Pain in the arse but with all the s**t surrounding PSN and other places getting hacked the timing is right for me. Like iPhones, gmail just works better. Also I <3 Google.

Geddes not sure what you're on about, I've a few gmail accounts, just sign up for as many as you want.

182, SQ7, Trafic
My Live/Hotmail account works perfectly. Deletes from server, receives always via push, sends first time etc...