ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best handling mods?

What is the best handling mods for a 172 Clio?

how much camber? any anti roll bar front or rear?

and what’s people’s thoughts on AP coilovers. I used them on my VAG cars and tbeh

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What’s your budget? And Handling for what? Track? Road? Race?

AP Coilovers are scrap.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
The original front ARB is fine, polybushes on it are good but abit of a c**t to fit. Whiteline do a decent rear ARB.
You can get camber shims for the rear axle, not very expensive at all. Obviously there's all the usual suspension polybushes available if you feel the need.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I've only done a few trackdays but done a lot of reading around here and I think you might find that you'll be better off with a fresh set of shocks, good lowering springs, camber bolts and poly bushing the front instead of getting 'cheap' coilovers.

My car has done me well so far on standard cup shocks and grams lowering springs.

Just got fresh track rods, ends and camber bolts installed, 5 minutes toe out and 2 degrees of negative camber. Totally transformed the car, it feels brilliant.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I did an OEM+ refresh on mine because the suspension was pretty tired, OE shocks, cooksport springs, camber bolts, new wishbones, whiteline rear ARB. Transformed the car and it was a huge giggle on track and on the road too. You can obviously go much further and many do, but if you’re looking to not spend much I’d stay away from coilovers. Cheap ones are only good for the lows compared to a setup like that.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
What’s your budget? And Handling for what? Track? Road? Race?

AP Coilovers are scrap.
I very much rate them as a road going coilover tbh especially for the price. Slightly soft on track but I'm lucky if I do 2 in a year. Im told, though it could be wrong that they are made by KW and are a different colour KW v1 🤷‍♂️

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I very much rate them as a road going coilover tbh especially for the price. Slightly soft on track but I'm lucky if I do 2 in a year. Im told, though it could be wrong that they are made by KW and are a different colour KW v1 🤷‍♂️
I’ve not had them on a Renault, but I have had them on 2 VW’s and thought they were absolute garbage.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'd spend the money on OEM or poly bushes all round, plus some cup shocks and springs and a decent seat. The cup set up will be great in track, plus they won't shake your fillings loose on the way there and back.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Interesting. My favourite track days are wet ones. I tend to feel less like a mobile chicane...
Even on the lowest setting it will make the rear end really twitchy from my experience, was quite a suprise the first time. Yesterday when it dried out and I reconnected it, I struggled to get the rear end to come out it gave so much grip, was brilliant.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I find mine very stable in the wet, even on the highest setting. Yes the rear breaks out a bit but the slides are very controllable.

I'm probably not driving hard enough or maybe the bushes of the whiteline ARB are worn, do they need replacing regularly?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Tbf even on the road mine is a bit twitchy with the ARB

Although it's really easy to catch if you're concentrating. Most of the time it's the front end that gives way on the road though