ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best sub for under £300

After going to w**k POWER on sunday I have decided I need a new sub. I currently have a Dual 4ohm Sony 12in Xplode powered by a Alpine M500. The sub must be in 2ohms so Dual 4ohm is good. Any Ideas.

M8, you dont need to spend £300 to get a good sub - lmfao. If you meant £300 for amp and sub then i would suggest as essexlad said "JL" i have a JL 10w3v2 that im fitting next month - even tho i havent haerd it yet, the feedback i get from people using the 3v2 range is 100% positive. for the money (£150) you cant get better. Build quailty is spot on too.

That leave you £150 for an amp - ask Evilice or see is July SALE post, pick up a RF or somthing.

again - i have never heard audiobahn stuff, but from what people say they look the part, but no show. Peeps over @ CAD cant stand the tat.

you could always get the new 15" kicker sub for £250 but you need a good amp to run them kenwood or the kicker one which is more money

depends what music you listen to really

Vicky ;)

Cos it looks good for starters and sounds the nuts!

why you lot too old for loud music or somat? ;)

just depends what your into i dont do things by halfs what can i say?

Vicky

cant see that pic mate.

No dont want a 15. I listern to all sort of music but mostly trance stuff so i need something that can keepup the the bass notes and not just loose it.

Ive got a Alpine M500 so Ive got plenty of power. Got a certificate from alpine saying my amp recorded 567.8 watts rms at 14.4v.

I was just lookng at the 1600w (400rms) one on mcs-direct.co.uk. Not bad

Anybody had any experience with JBL stuff.

clio dynamique, you have alot of options open to you!
But firstly, dont pay attention to the certificate figure that you have, coz that is the first time it was started up & will never get that figure again, just ask your ice shops about that.
& about choice of subs.... You listen to trance right? (So do I) however I do listen to music at other times to so I got a 12", & I reckon you should get that too, coz everyones music tastes change at one time. & a good 12 can handle all types of music, I find that 15s are too big in my experience & only good for music that has long bass notes such as rap & hip hop & not much else.

I would recommend either Directed Audio or JL for a decent sub! Directed audio do the studio series, & their duel voice coil one for £150 rocks to sh*t which is better than the equivelent one by JL (the 12w3v2 D2)
But if youve got up to £300 to spend, then you can go one up from the studio series & get a Comp X! & these things are LOUD, if anyone went to the FCS, the blue 106 ICE car that was there had all Directed Comp X subs!
If your gonna go for a JL, then save up a bit more and get the W6, coz that sub rocks to sh*t :) (im getting it next!)

Oh yeah, It will depend alot on what your head unit youve got & the monoblock/amp you have got.

Cheers mate. Just been looking at the Directed Audio stuff. Looking good. Just one thing. I cant see on their website if they are dual coils or not. http://www.directed.comwww.directed.com

Might delay buying it at the moment as Im thinking of buying some Brown Bread (More healthy then white thou I do like a bit of Danish) to add a bit of sound proofing to my reno.

From my experience, the Kenwood KFC-W3003 is a very good 12 inch sub. In fact its the best sub ive ever had. Get the size of the box right (1.2 cu ft) and itll sound fantastic.

Im using the 10 inch version jus now cos i cant fit the 12 inch one into the boot of my Mini! The 12 definately sounds better and works with all kinds of music. I think its only £55 at MCS.

Kenny (Billybhoys bro)

Ye the kewoods do sound good. Had a listern to one of the 12s the other week, comparing it to a sony 12in pentagon. The kenwood sounded a lot better. The sony was more of a booming bass were the Kenwood was a lot more controlled.

Thanks for the advice but I think the Directed Audio (thanks connor) Comp X is looking good at the mo.

Youll need more power than that to push a Comp X properly. If you have around 550 watts RMS to play with then I would suggest either a JL 12W3, Crystal Comp or possibly even an RE SE12. You could always go for the 10" version if you want to but I think the 12" of either of those subs would do the job nicely.

Russ

Hmm. A knew picking a sub would be hard but this is starting to take the piss.

Thanks Russ just had a look on caraudiodirect.co.uk and they rate both the RE SE12 and Crystal Comp with 4.5 out of 5.

I think Ive narrowed it down to 3subs.

RE is £179.99

Diamond Audio CM3 £169.99

Directed DIR-3124 £149.00

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

the new JL audio 8"w7 is out now, and ok its 8" but u can stuff soo much power in to it, and its the w7 so the top of the range design.

if u in to tight fast bass that would be ideal, mount it arse out to make it look good. that is 300 quid.

Out of those options I would gofor the Diamond if you want more SQ, the RE if you want a boomy bassline and the Directed unfortunately lags behind at the rear.

Russ

my directed studio 12 runs amazing in a .77 cu foot box mate! tiny box but it sure does kick!

& the directed lags behind? ouch! ive never found that with mine? maybe thats coz of the amp & head unit thats running it.... but still, I cant have it up more than 3/4 otherwise it actually does start to hurt... & in my experience if a sub hurts ur ears then thats enough SPL for every day listening!!! & not only that but its really punchy! but each to their own i guess.... & Im pretty sure I can use my current monoblock to run the comp X ok? Well I hope so! But i aint decided whether to get an 12" Orion by Directed Audio, or the JL 12w6! decisions decisions!!