ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best way to fit 6x9's

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Upgradinng the crappy renault rear speakers for some parcel shelf 6x9's - whats best way to do this? remove the old speakers and extend the wiring was my obvious guess but just thought i would ask some people who actually know what they are talking about ha ha

Inferno 182 CUP
tbh the best way is to stick em in a wheely bin.

its 2010 not 1995 fast and furious.

6x9's are crap.

how many oval speakers do you see every day?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
6x9s are not bad speakers, they give a lot of sound for theyre size.

HOWEVER, they look terrible and chavy stuck in the parcel shelf, and people will judge you for it! (espessially on cliosport)
and so many chavs out there love them so much, that the brands just make them as loud and bassy as possible which ruins the sound quality!

personally id NEVER have 6x9's in my car,
but if you must, go for a GOOD set, not £40 from halfrauds!

then as you say, just remove the rear speakers,
extend the wiring, and saw the holes in the shelf.

also be aware that 6x9's in the shelf + sub in the boot = bad times!

Inferno 182 CUP
OVAL SPEAKERS DO NOT WORK

f**k me ..

i hope some audiophile comes on here and batters you for that comment.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
why do they not work??

it is true that the optimum shape of a speaker is circular, but the doesnt mean oval speakers DONT work! i dont think most people could pick up on the difference.

based on that theory components DONT work, since the optimum place for a tweeter is right in the centre of the cone!

Inferno 182 CUP
cone! spherical! round!

NOT oval

A cone is a three-dimensional geometric shape that tapers smoothly from a flat, usually circular base to a point called the apex or vertex. More precisely, it is the solid figure bounded by a plane base and the surface (called the lateral surface) formed by the locus of all straight line segments joining the apex to the perimeter of the base. The term "cone" sometimes refers just to the surface of this solid figure, or just to the lateral surface.
The axis of a cone is the straight line (if any), passing through the apex, about which the lateral surface has a rotational symmetry.
In common usage in elementary geometry, cones are assumed to be right circular, where right means that the axis passes through the centre of the base (suitably defined) at right angles to its plane, and circular means that the base is a circle. Contrasted with right cones are oblique cones, in which the axis does not pass perpendicularly through the centre of the base.[1] In general, however, the base may be any shape, and the apex may lie anywhere (though it is often assumed that the base is bounded and has nonzero area, and that the apex lies outside the plane of the base). For example, a pyramid is technically a cone with a polygonal base.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
lol, thankyou for defining a cone for us :D

im pretty sure most people on here know exactly what a cone looks like,

unfortunatley, this doesnt back up your argument in any way!
since it states that cones USUALLY have a circular base, and even pyramids are technically right cones!

the paragraph you successfully copied and pasted makes no refrence to sound quality, and nowhere does it show any evidence that speakers should ONLY EVER be round!

im not arguing that the best shape of a speaker isnt a circle!
but 6x9 do work, and if installed properly can offer good sound quality!
yes the shape of the cone may distort the waves slightly since the waves may be created into asymetrical paths,
but 99.9% of people out there would never pick up on this! and would just enjoy the music!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
perhaps your time could be better spent learning about car audio and sound waves!
and not just jumping on the band wagon when people hate something

if your going to make such a bold claim, that 6x9's DONT work,
perhaps some evidence to back it up would help!!

at OP, as said, personally i wouldnt have (parcel shelf mounted) 6x9s in my car, more for the stigma that Danny133 highlighted in his most recent post!
and as said they are not the best shape for a speaker to be, but then again, having the tweeter separate from the cone is not the best idea, but components still sell in the millions!

car audio is about making the best of the space available, this is why these designs were born!

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
Plus the fact, have you seen the inside of a car? Plastics,glass, fabrics, metal. You'll probably find that a car ruins sound quality more than the shape of a speaker ever would!

MK2 Clio
The one problem with forums is people are opinionated, but thats a good thing sometimes,
mate 6x9 can be louder and can emphasise base or treble and can be a cheaper option than expensive speakers, if anyone wants them put em in! just make sure you can remove your parcel shelf without too much work ;)

Jap Box
I wired mine in by sening the 6x9 cable down the right side of the car under all the trim, then have them going into the pre-out on my headunit.

Mine are also hidden in the parcel shelf under some extra fabric so they can't be seen through the window and don't look chavvy etc.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
the bigger the speaker, the deeper a tone it can make,
9" speakers wouldnt really fit anywhere in a car,

6x9's can be easily fit inside a car, and can make some use of the extra cone area to make more bass. Thus adding to the listening experience of some genres of music.

172 cup TT
to be honest, I have some nice polyglass comps up front and a 10" diamond audio sub in the boot and just didnt really get on with it... it sounded "not bad".. but got wound up with all the farting around wiring it up (especially putting new wire into the doors argh) feeding wires up and down the car with power lines through the bulkhead into the battery etc..... Im sure 6x9's arent TOO bad.. id want them stealth'd up yes but i remember years ago when i were a lad i had a nice set of pioneer 6x9's and they were great... yeh they werent silly bass'y but im not after that anymore and think a nice set of 6x9's for the average driver wouldnt give a bad sound at all... my opinion really (OOH POST 2000 TOO WOO)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
this is another thing!

everything in car audio is down to personal prefrence!
there is no perfect set up! and it is all down to the music that you listen to!

just because some people dont like 6x9's does not make them wrong,
and it winds me up when people bash something that is not theyre personal prefrence,
especially when their best evidence is a copy and pasted paragraph on the definition of a cone :S

Listerine & Poledo
If you're just looking for more bass without sacraficing boot space and are not going to worry yourself about the audio quality as much as some could then go for it.

Avoiding the chav look is easy, use a stealth shelf, get one with the right countours and colour so it looks OEM and no-one need know better. Hell, you might even be able to fit a pair of 8" cones in there!

Otherwsie, get some 6" mid-bass cones in the rear passenger 'door' cards?