ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Biggest mem card for nikon cam's/ d40?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Been looking at what memory card to purchase for when i buy myself a camera and have come to the conclusion after vauge internet searches that it can only hold 8gb memory cards. Some people say it can hold larger (eg 16 gb SDHC cards).. can anyone confirm the largest one you can buy that will be compatible? Cheers.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I don't know the answer, but someone on here suggested to me that it's better to get a few smaller cards just incase you lose one/lose your camera/card malfunction etc you won't lose all your pics. I went for a couple of 4GBs.

Oil Burner
I don't know the answer, but someone on here suggested to me that it's better to get a few smaller cards just incase you lose one/lose your camera/card malfunction etc you won't lose all your pics. I went for a couple of 4GBs.

This man has got it in one.

I wont use larger than 4gb cards. Cards are cheap as chips from outfits like 7day shop

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
right so its basically better to buy say x 3 4 gb memory cards and just use them as they get full etc... Thanks everyone. Final question - roughly how many images can be fit onto a 4gb memory card if taken in raw? Can you set the cam to compress them slightly so you can take more for lesser quality :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
right so its basically better to buy say x 3 4 gb memory cards and just use them as they get full etc... Thanks everyone. Final question - roughly how many images can be fit onto a 4gb memory card if taken in raw? Can you set the cam to compress them slightly so you can take more for lesser quality :)

Prob best checking the Nikon website and downloading the D40 manual. I know a D60 raw file is around 10MB. That's a 10MP camera, so I have no idea if its sensible to think around 6MB for a D40.

Raw is as you see it, no processing what so ever, just all the pure detail the camera captures and so no compression. If you want to compress, have to use JPEG. Top JPEG quality on the D60 is between 4-6MB generally, most are under 5.