ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Billet lightened flywheels and boost

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
This is a topic which could probably have people arguing for days. Google doesn't really help and all of the gtr, evo and mx5 forums have never really come to a definitive answer. I enjoyed my lightened flywheel on my old n/a 182 and how responsive the engine was but with boost on the horizon what are peoples thoughts on this combination in general.

Personally this is targeted at my track car so I have no care for ability to launch etc but might also be a useful topic for those with road going boost.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
After reading through @SharkyUK project thread, he's used a heavier than normal flywheel so maybe he can offer some advice as there must be a reason he has gone that route?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
After reading through @SharkyUK project thread, he's used a heavier than normal flywheel so maybe he can offer some advice as there must be a reason he has gone that route?
Because the engine is boosted mate, helps them spool up. [emoji2]

I've been told not to go lighter than 7kg.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Because the engine is boosted mate, helps them spool up. [emoji2]

I've been told not to go lighter than 7kg.
I'm wondering is why this appears to be the rule of thumb as there must be science behind it. Of course the turbo works off energy in the exhaust and that by having a car which revs quicker helps that. Of course gear changes the engine drops rpm quicker, reducing exhaust flow, but then picks it up again as soon as the gear change is over.

I have heard exactly the same thing though. Just can't see all the logic behind it.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I can't imagine there would be any issues with a lightweight flywheel on a boosted Clio. It would only ever be a problem when running mega power and a big turbo to suit. Big turbo = long time to spool up, and if you've got a very revvy engine and a big turbo it might always be playing catch up and take forever to properly spool. All IMO anyway. That's possibly why Sharky is running a heavier flywheel as mentioned above as I'm sure he's aiming for quite high power.

My mate runs a lightweight flywheel on his Evo anyway and from being in it I've never felt it has any issues with lag. He is running a smaller exhaust turbine which helps it spool up but it's also probably a much bigger turbo than what would be used on a Clio in the first place.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the heads-up mate :)

Please note that this is my understanding of the situation and I may be wrong. That said, I did take advice from people in the know and followed their recommendations...

The important thing to note is that whether or not you use a lighter (or heavier) flywheel is very much down to the nature of the tune of the engine, the components being used and the results you are looking for. There isn't really a one-size fits all answer (hence the myriad of replies and views across the Internet on this subject). It's entirely possible to have a flywheel that is too light so that you are quickly into high rpm but the turbo hasn't hit the optimal spool and the flip side of the coin being that you have a very fast spooling turbo but your engine is not up to speed into the optimal power band (remembering that turbo rpm and engine rpm aren't directly related).

In the case of my own build I am not using a massive turbo where lag is likely to be a big issue (although the power I'm looking for will be a substantial leap over stock). With the F4R engine naturally being a fairly free-revving engine there really was no requirement to lighten the flywheel in a bid to increase the rate at which the engine will rev on (or drop revs off) the throttle. Considering the build as a whole the more important factor was (as Dan points out) the requirement to put more load on the engine to get it working harder (to load up the crank train) and to get the exhaust gases flowing (to help the turbo spool up). As said, this setup is tailored to my build so different people with different engines, compression ratios and turbo sizes will likely use different weight flywheels to suit their needs. The heavier flywheel will also make my car a little easier to drive when pulling away and from lower speeds as I'm effectively not having to 'slip' the clutch as much. A light or heavy flywheel isn't so much to do with handling power (which is more a function of the clutch) but is a balancing act in getting the optimal engine loads and turbo spool to achieve maximum effect at the right time.

A larger turbo may require a significant increase in engine load to ensure the turbo spools up and builds boost effectively. It's possible that a very large turbo build may have the scenario whereby the turbo cannot generate the boost quick enough to keep up with the engine rpm and consequently never hits maximum boost levels.

But beware, there is also a LOT of misinformation out there. I think a lot of people just fall into the trap of, "ooh, a lightened flywheel - it must be better!" This is not necessarily the case.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, this is my own personal view of things :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@SharkyUK Thanks Andy. I ran through your thread quickly earlier and saw yours was from TTV so assume you've spoken to them. Great explaination of the different factors which input the decision on weight.
When n/a it was a no brainer but with boost it's of course a different kettle of fish. I'm also not going to be using a huge turbo, something like a gt2554r or gt28r for a low boost conversion but am always looking to do something a little different to the norm so it was something worth considering certainly. I'd be interested to know how manufacturers calculate the weight of a flywheel in a boosted car.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
When n/a it was a no brainer but with boost it's of course a different kettle of fish. I'm also not going to be using a huge turbo, something like a gt2554r or gt28r for a low boost conversion but am always looking to do something a little different to the norm so it was something worth considering certainly. I'd be interested to know how manufacturers calculate the weight of a flywheel in a boosted car.
Exactly mate - N/A it can be advantageous to lighten the flywheel when considering engine modifications. With a smaller (and potentially quicker spooling) turbo it's quite likely the heavier flywheel is not required. Again, it's worth talking to someone in the know as I am far from qualified enough to advise and, whilst fairly well-versed in maths and physics, I'm not sure on the science that goes into determining how manufacturers decide on the overall weight and mass distribution on any given flywheel. I do know that experience (from a reputable engine builder for example) goes a long way!

I'm looking forward to seeing your build progress mate :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Your lightened flywheel will be fine for your supercharger mate. My understanding is (and I'm generalising here) a lightened flywheel is more often suited to NA and supercharger applications in most everyday cases. That's not disrespecting your build at all, I simply mean that your build is not a pure thoroughbred race car that is designed for life on track :)

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along at some point :)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk