ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bit of help need with ideas to install horn bypass button??

Clio 1.2 RN Le Sport
My horn has been playing up and I know it something to do with the wiring behind the steering wheel as i just checked and the two small wires leading in the rotary switch are melted (well the red one).
I can't be bother fixing that end of the problem as it involves getting a rotary switch etc. So i am going to install a small push button near the gear stick for MOT purposes.

Has anyone done this before?

I was thinking of trying to get the wire just coming out of the fuse board in the car, meaning its all wired up correctly beyond that point in the engine etc (The horn itself works when it wants, so I've taken the fuse out in the mean time :D, just the wiring from the steering wheel to the rotarty part is f**ked).

Is this a hard job for an in experienced person, finding the wire from the fuse box? My dad and uncle said it could be hard to find so I should just ask an auto electrician to test which wire it is at the terminal near the steering wheel, remove it and connect new wiring to my small push button. But I have a free day tomorrow and if it isn't that hard I can have it sorted asap. Would I need to take into account the type of wiring i use in the connection and would i need a strong resistant button also, was just told by my uncle the volt to the original one could fry it (I am a complete amateur)?

Thanks for reading, any help would be great. Whether its correcting my own of suggesting a better one it will help :)