ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blasted by a Pug 306!!!!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi guys,

Recently found this forum, have been reading but never signed up since I got my 172! Thought it was quick untill i went for a drive up the a41 on sunday

i was doing a steady 80 when this 306 came flying up to me, looked like a hdi!? so i thought ello and put my foot down. he kept up with me right up to silly speeds and then over took me!! :( i was giving my 172 full beans but it wasnt enough. the driver was laughing his head off! he then slowed right down in front on me on a dual carriage way. so i put it in third and booted it, as i was overtaking him he started to speed up and gain on me!!! so i had to pull back in behind him. in the end i had to let him go. I came on the net to see what it was, it looks like it was a gti but i thought these had same bhp as 172? It pi$$ed all over me!!!! looked completly standard too. Im so angry. I already got a viper and straight through on me clio. How can I make it quicker?

Lee

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
could have been a chipped diesel. iirc they have a ~130 hp diesel standard which could quite easily be chipped to 170-180 ish and a s**t load of torque

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Did know a HDI could be tuned that much! there was no black smoke though when he was giving it some and it didnt sound like a diesel. hmmm i dont fancy spending 7k LOL more like a couple of hundred. i ll just have to wait till i can afford a decent jap turbo i suppose!

Turbos.
Was it loud?

The only standard 306 which might have a chance is the 167bhp Rallye model but i couldn't see one owning you. Maybe it was a GTI on throttle bodies.

Nissan 350Z
306 doesnt have a 130 bhp diesel. It has a 90 bhp diesel. This can be tuned to 130 bhp with a remap and FMIC. This wouldnt be enough to worry a 172 though.

Neither would a standard GTI-6, which in rally form, is still a good 2 seconds slower to the ton than a 172.

Basically, it was a GTI-6 more than likely, but heavily tuned.

Monaco 172 2/468
They are quite closely matched in speed, the 306 GTI-6 would pull better at certain speeds because of the gearing, but you should still be quicker overall, even if you are a new driver

Agreed, must have been really modded, or...your 172 is knackered lol

Lee

BMW M2C
sh33n said:
GTI-6 are lovely cars, no disrespect in getting done by one I think.

I'd go with that mate. If I got done by one I'd not be overly bothered. They handle better than pretty much all the Clios I've driven, and even though they have less power they don't weigh a massive amount, plus they are geared really nicely.

Golf 7R
0-60mph:7.9 s0-100mph:21.5 sQuarter mile:16.40sKilometre:29.20sTop speed:209 km/hPower to weight:137.56 bhp/ton
Max. output:169.3 PS (167.0 bhp) (124.5 kW)@6500 rpmMax. torque:197.0 Nm (145 lbft) (20.1 kgm)@5500 rpm

Can't see it being a car that would pull on a clio, even 6 gears and the gearing taken into consideration, so must have been heavily modded, take nothing away from it, still a pretty good hatch, its lighter brother the raylle being better1

Astra VXR 17/05/07
matty w said:
you win some you lose some,dont get angry get even

you win some you loose some, don`t get angry....enjoy your car for what it is and let him get on with it. Not worth loosing your licence, or worse for the sake of what was probably a modded car.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
What year was the 306 ? New or old shape . I had a 306 S16 155bhp a few years ago , standard apart from lower springs and it pulled like a train , with the wider track and longer wheel base , could out handle a 172 imo .

I also had a little run in with a 306 S16 a couple of months ago on the M65 , neither of us gained on each other .

Lee

BMW M2C
pbirkett said:
Interesting. A 1200 kg 155 bhp car is as fast as an 1100 kg 180 bhp car.

This forum really is comical sometimes.

I assume from your educated posts you've owned one like me then?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
pbirkett said:
Interesting. A 1200 kg 155 bhp car is as fast as an 1100 kg 180 bhp car.

This forum really is comical sometimes.

Well having owned a 306 S16 , a mk2 172 and now a 182 at least i am in the position to make this statement . And unless my eyes deceived me i couldn't pull away from the 306 S16 .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Lee said:
I assume from your educated posts you've owned one like me then?

You've owned an S16 Lee ? How did you rate it in terms of performance and handling ?

I'd have one again tomorrow if they still sold them new .

Renaultsport Clio 182
I passed a GTi-6 off a roundabout, probably had a 10mph head start, but by the time I pulled back in to my lane he had closed the gap a bit, so although I got past him, i felt that he was slightly quicker from 30 to 90.

Monaco 172 2/468
My mate who owned a 306 GTI-6 had a blast in my 172 and said it almost feels the same acceleration wise, I tell you what though, doesn't your car feel fast with someone else driving quick lol

You 306 owners, I bet you are gutted they replaced that great car with the plumpy 307, what a joke :(

tiTTy & SV650
with the 6 speed box they're always in the power band u feel like ur taking it out of gear and putting it back into gear.

Mates got a decat and zorst on his gti-6 and I have a standard 182 and i pulled on him through all my 5 gears but probably not enough to pass him.

so as said on the road, fook all in it but they shouldnt be able to out drag you in a straight.

straights are dull dull dull anyway.

Nissan 350Z
The figures dont lie.

Clio - 165ish bhp / tonne
306 - 135ish bhp / tonne

Also, according to most rag tests i've seen theres 3-4 seconds 0-100 between them.

I just dont get how people are saying these are quicker than clios. Because they arent. End of story.

Oh and BTW, i am not really bothered whether some car is faster than mine or not, i am simply stating facts - someone has to.

tiTTy & SV650
0-100 isnt reality

on a proper fun road like I use to have my fun on there's fook all between them.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
pbirkett said:
The figures dont lie.

Clio - 165ish bhp / tonne
306 - 135ish bhp / tonne

Also, according to most rag tests i've seen theres 3-4 seconds 0-100 between them.

I just dont get how people are saying these are quicker than clios. Because they arent. End of story.

Oh and BTW, i am not really bothered whether some car is faster than mine or not, i am simply stating facts - someone has to.

Figures mean jack s**t to me mate . Its on the road that counts , and imho , the 306 S16 is more than a match for a clio 172 / 182 , i've owned all 3 mate , you know what i'm sayin ;)

And don't forget , the S16'S are around 12 years old now , so 155bhp was quite a powerful car then , as it is now :rasp:

Seems to me there is alot of car envy on here , people don't like to admit there are other cars out there as good if not better than the RS clios .

Clio 172 mk2
MRBILLYUK said:
Figures mean jack sh*t to me mate . Its on the road that counts , and imho , the 306 S16 is more than a match for a clio 172 / 182 , i've owned all 3 mate , you know what i'm sayin ;)

And don't forget , the S16'S are around 12 years old now , so 155bhp was quite a powerful car then , as it is now :rasp:

Seems to me there is alot of car envy on here , people don't like to admit there are other cars out there as good if not better than the RS clios .

It's just the same old story, people thinking they're invincible on the roads and their cars are the best thing since sliced bread.

I blew away quite a few 172s/182s in my old car but now I'm happy to be on the recieving end as I couldn't care anymore wether a turbocharged, chipped milkfloat was faster than my 172.

NOS or heavily tuned, end of.... there is no way a standard 306 would pull past a 1*2 in the way described, i dont care how many gears it has.

Nissan 350Z
Ah well, never mind that figures PROVE which one is faster - you all go and believe what you want.

I believe its absolutely impossible for a car that weighs more and has less power can be faster and you will never, ever change my mind on that.

Did you know a 1.0 litre Micra is faster. After all its got 55 bhp and weighs next to nowt, but really its a little known secret that its got 200 bhp really, and will whoop a McLaren..... (see how silly it sounds?)

A number of clios
^^ agreed or he had a different engine in full stop just think of the clio tt some one could have put something different in a 306 easy

Nissan 350Z
MRBILLYUK said:

LMAO. Thats the funniest comment I've read. If your S16 was so much better, why did you spend all that money on a clio.

It doesnt make sense to me, you could have bought one of those for £2k, but instead, you spent circa £10+ grand on an inferior car. PMSL

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
pbirkett said:
LMAO. Thats the funniest comment I've read. If your S16 was so much better, why did you spend all that money on a clio.

It doesnt make sense to me, you could have bought one of those for £2k, but instead, you spent circa £10+ grand on an inferior car. PMSL

Fcuk me i've met some clowns in my time but you take the Big Red Nose for being King Clown :clown:

1. The head gasket and clutch were on the way out , would have cost more than the car was worth .

2. Because i happened to have alot of spare cash just doin' nothing in my bank account ;)

172beast

PMSL the stupidity of some CS users never fails to amuse me!!!

Heres my GTI-6, completly standard 0-100 = http://www.zedsplace.co.uk/download.php?view.75

Heres my old mk1 172, completly standard 0-100, same stretch of road = http://www.zedsplace.co.uk/download.php?view.77

You figure it out, GTI-6 does not slow down after 70/80 like the 172 does, just carrys on, handles a lot better and provides much more feedback through the wheel, generally a much much more fun car to drive. If I had the choice between my old mk1 172 and my GTI-6, I'd take the 6 anyday, its a vastly better drivers car.

Power to weight isn't the be all of everything an all, close ratio 3/4/5/6 really make the 6 quicker then paper figures suggest.

BTW, my 6 was recently RR @ 148bhp ATW, same day a modified mk2 172 put out 140bhp ATW and another 6 put out 143bhp ATW iirc, good engines!