ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bloody speedbumps! Hit 1 and now have vibrating problems....

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
So I have just been out and had to swerve to avoid a t**t who pulled out on me meaning that instead of driving straight over 1 of those square speed bumps my right wheel hit it dead on. Was a fair whack when I hit it but didn't think anything of it. At the next junction when I went to pull out I accelerated out fairly quick and was greeted with what I can only describe as a very loud vibration. It only happens under medium to hard acceleration and at any speed. I can drive at 60 with no problem if I am not accelerating hard.

The car is driving fine and dead straight even when not holding the wheel or under braking. I assume that I haven't bent anything steering wise because of this. Also I was messing about with the clutch and noticed that if I let it out very quick there is a loud thump from the engine bay. As annoying as it will be I am really hoping that I have just broken an engine mount which is causing the issue. Has anyone had this happen before or can give me advice on how to check the mounts?

Thanks

RS Clio 200
or try slowing down for the speed bumps in the first place lol. i think thats what they are for

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Even at 25mph those square bumps are a nightmare if your wheel hits one.

Bloody things are pointless anyway seeing as they fit perfectly in between most cars wheels,
which means they don't slow anyone down, unless your car's lowered in which case they just rip off your exhaust.

Last edited:
  RS Clio 200
lol so dont take them at 25. most of them are there for a reason, granted some are pointless.

But whats the point in taking them at any speed by trying to line up a wheel either side. you always run the wheels over them slightly and all it does is put pressure on your geometry components. You are far better off putting one side of the car through the middle of the bump and just taking it slowly.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked you haven't lost some wheel weights?

Best to eliminate the simple things first.

I very much doubt it would be that tbh. it only happens under "hard" acceleration, if it was a wheel weight surely it would be doing it all the time?

or try slowing down for the speed bumps in the first place lol. i think thats what they are for

Well I was going slow enough to drive "over" it with a wheel each side of it but because someone pulled out from a driveway it made me swerve straight into 1. These bumps in question have a very harsh gradient on them as well, not like most others!

RS Clio 200
it also creates uneven tyre wear on the inside of the tyre. no matter how hard you try, even dead centre, your wheels will alwyas just touch the bump

RS Clio 200
I very much doubt it would be that tbh. it only happens under "hard" acceleration, if it was a wheel weight surely it would be doing it all the time?

Well I was going slow enough to drive "over" it with a wheel each side of it but because someone pulled out from a driveway it made me swerve straight into 1. These bumps in question have a very harsh gradient on them as well, not like most others!

this does more damage to your car than being pateient and taking one side over the bump slowly

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
ok, well thanks for the advice on my driving but if you had any advice on the problem I now have it would be much appreciated.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
You must have different square ones where you live, the ones in Coventry are tiny and never touch the inside of my tyres,
the potholes on the other hand could rip a wheel off, they're a far more effective speed restriction. lol

RS Clio 200
probably buckled the alloy.
take it to local tyre place tomorrow and get them to spin it up. they will be able to tell u if its the wheel straight away

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
You must have different square ones where you live, the ones in Coventry are tiny and never touch the inside of my tyres,
the potholes on the other hand could rip a wheel off, they're a far more effective speed restriction. lol

same as that in the majority of cases hence why I don't have the need to slow down and go over them with 1 wheel, it would just be pointless.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
probably buckled the alloy.
take it to local tyre place tomorrow and get them to spin it up. they will be able to tell u if its the wheel straight away

Yeah I suppose they will but after it happened I drove up to 60mph on the D/C and there was absolutely no problem with steady driving, a buckled alloy would cause issues at this speed I would have though. I am pretty sure something has moved and is vibrating against something It shouldn't be touching.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Well looks like you're going to have to get under the car and check for movement in the tie rods, track rod ends, ball joints and wishbones.

After that it's the dampers and springs.

If there's a clunk when accelerating might be worth checking the gearbox mounts,
you'll need to take the battery out as they're underneath it, I used to have a massive clunk when accelerating,
turned out to be a broken mount bracket.

Last edited:

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Well looks like you're going to have to get under the car and check for movement in the tie rods, track rod ends, ball joints and wishbones.

After that it's the dampers and springs.

If there's a clunk when accelerating might be worth checking the gearbox mounts,
you'll need to take the battery out as they're underneath it, I used to have a massive clunk when accelerating,
turned out to be a broken mount bracket.

And there was me thinking I was going to have a day of doing sweet FA tomorrow! :dapprove:

Was it your upper gearbox mount bracket? Am I right in saying that there is 1 mount right below battery, 1 to the top left of engine and then the dogbone?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Was it your upper gearbox mount bracket? Am I right in saying that there is 1 mount right below battery, 1 to the top left of engine and then the dogbone?

Yep it was cracked and barely hanging on by a lose bolt.

It looks like this.

$(KGrHqMOKjkE1uDQBwyMBNmDI5nSmg~~_35.jpg
images
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCUOaNcCH6CHP9B6WhAgTLn8DTVxHAn6lTgXFvvSg27gwchMx4.jpg

The other mounts are as you say, upper engine on the left by the cam cover,
and the dogbone right under the car next to the gear linkage.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Iv just been looking around the engine bay and noticed this piece of what is like headlining floating very close to the aux pulleys. How should this be fixed? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341134193.146563.jpg

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Right so the problem in the end was the top engine mount, basically under acceleration the mount was kicking back and hitting the mount surround.

Smoking kills but sometimes an empty fag pack comes it handy for diagnosis!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341153875.097263.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341153891.399686.jpg

You can actually see where there should have been a rubber bumper present but for some reason it was missing?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341153952.420829.jpg

I then butchered an old mount i had just to get a bit of heavy duty rubber to keep the car on the road until i buy and fit a new mount.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341154009.869783.jpg