ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bomber's new project. MX5 content

Qashcow
Well, after the charged Clio shell left the driveway I started browsing eBay for something cheap, rwd and a bit slower...

I found an MX5 on eBay, about 300yards from where I was working and 2 hours later owned the below car.

Uk model, 1.8 with 75k on the clock. Very little rust on the rear arches which haven't been repaired before which is fairly rare on a uk mx5 of this age. It has koni damper adjustable shocks with lowering springs, full stainless miltek exhaust and a few other parts.

05f5c695.jpg

First thing once home was a bit of a clean up, it has dents on most panels which doesn't concern me, it's going to get used hard, and hopefully sideways. I just had to make it a little presentable.

Front number plate removed for now, looking at either a sticky or side mounted one.

0d4b0918.jpg

The rear window was in a sorry state. From what I can work out it was original, or at least had been restitched using the original Mazda zip. eBay came to the rescue with a new hood for £160 delivered. Absolute nightmare to fit and not assisted by the british weather in any way ffs. Took about 6 hours and I don't want to do it again, ever. Fitting the supercharger to the Clio was genuinely easier!!

Old and new...

8eb81f81.jpg

c758f5d6.jpg

And today I picked up this little bit of steelwork. 6 point bolt in Carbing roll cage. Currently painted White but I have a feeling this will change.

82288d53.jpg

020bf75d.jpg

4f285b1d.jpg

Cage looks gash at the minute until the rear legs are fitted this week.

Then it's time for the harness' and buckets from the Clio to get fitted.

Long term plans; sub £1k supercharger setup and proper wheels

Qashcow
Hard tops on mx5's look good but kind of pointless. Why buy a convertible, and stick a roof on? I'd have bought a 200sx instead.

I know they're the devils wheels, but I frigging love Rota grid v's but also worried they're going to become the clio's turini.

I can't wait for the first bit of snowfall in winter, I will be spending all night topless in it ;-)

Qashcow
The seats are as back as far as they go so I could Hoover it all out, I don't think with the buckets in it will be an issue at all, will also have foam padding too.

Cheers Russ, tis a right little beast. A f**king gutless one at that, needs so much more power lol.

Forgot to say, i didn't know at the time but I actually bough it off Quade's sister. Small world.

Total spent so far is £1400 :)

Megane 225 F1
Awaits what awesomeness is to come.

Isn't that rear bar a bit to close the rear of the front seats?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Where going for a cruise when you come and visit.... Lol

With regards to the front plate... Don't waste your time, keep a spare in the boot and get it out when asked, otherwise run without (its only a weekend car after all)

Qashcow
Awaits what awesomeness is to come.

Isn't that rear bar a bit to close the rear of the front seats?

Dont worry your little self, that isn't where the seats are when anyone's in them, they've just got gangsta lean in the pics. Buckets will be in within a week

I think you're right nelly, I've always had an illegal plate of some kind and got away with it for about 9 years so far lol.

Cheers Jon, had been expecting more 'haters' comments tbh :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
I'm pretty sure i can source you a rotary and run it na for under 1k... or just over ;) u gotta come up the garage in birdlip I'm working at bomber... we had a 20v ae86 on throttle bodies up there last week! never seen wheel lock like it lol! guy took me out and i was almost tempted to swap my fd for it....

Qashcow
I do like a nice mx-5. Just couldn't own one myself.

Soon to be another mx5 owners club this :/

If I didn't get to drive the megane as well, I'd feel a bit too feminine and would have to sell the 5, I don't think it could ever be anything but a 3rd vehicle!

Malice, let me know when you're next up there and I'll come up, I'd gone back to the sc idea as I can reuse my current ecu again. What would be used to run a rotary, as I know the TDF can't at the moment :(

TrackCar & F30 330d
The roof looks much better :)

Once it's got some decent wheels with a decent offset then it should look more manly!

I do actually really like MX5's cheap enough to have fun sideways and not matter if you write it off.

So is this car going to have a splash of colour like the old boost bus did?

LMFAO at you buying a cage in white and probably gonna paint it a mad colour - after I bought your cage a mad colour and painted it white

Looks awesome though - glad to see you've got a proper one and not those gay hoops

172 Race Car
Ive already told hm what to do. The cheap mini SC conversion at first then save up/collect parts to put in a Honda lump with some big ass trumpets. :approve:

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Will keep any eye on this,

What Charger setup you going for?

I've been half tempted to sell mine recently as it's done about 100miles in 2months :S

So i've driven it this week to try and rekindle the love lol

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
If I didn't get to drive the megane as well, I'd feel a bit too feminine and would have to sell the 5, I don't think it could ever be anything but a 3rd vehicle!

Malice, let me know when you're next up there and I'll come up, I'd gone back to the sc idea as I can reuse my current ecu again. What would be used to run a rotary, as I know the TDF can't at the moment :(

either a powerfc or there are other options including cheaper options, will be up working tomorrow from 3pm on till like 1-2am normally, doing a vtec mini atm... rebuilt a dc2 2 weeks ago, new bearings and stage 3 cams and now a power fc... ill pm you my number

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Soon to be another mx5 owners club this :/

Yes, you are not wrong.

When I was toying with which mx5 to buy, took a mk1 280bhp, built, fm2 out for a test FLIGHT!!!!

For everyday use no good, for frightening yourself stupid YES ;)

Sideways on demand even on hot sunny days :D

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Ah Steve, just the man! Going to look at an MX-5 tomorrow! :D

You know it makes sense.
7 trackdays so far this yr, apart from couple of fluid changes & some front discs, try that in your french buckets :rasp:

Sell me your bootlid!!!!!

Superchargers are for homo's. Everyone loves the turbo shove.

Looks like a good base though, be good to see what you do with it.

Qashcow
Bit bummed at the minute, apart from being ferociously tired this week, my bucket seat won't fit with the Carbing cage :-( so the cage is for sale and I'll get a TR Lane cage instead. Pain in the ass but these things happen. No progress on the rest of the car yet sadly

7ec4a579.gif