ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brake fluid reservoir

CLIO 182
Hi all im not sure if this is in the right section i guess it's brake related so hope so. Should my clio 182 have a heatshield as such around the brake fluid reservoir. As the one i have on my car / part of the cap and top has melted abit with the heat of the exhuast manifold. So i guess this in turn is boiling my fluid and could be the reason my stop/brake light flickers on and off randomly??

Any help advice would be great thanks.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
No they don't have a heat shield around the reservoir . It's the first time I've ever heard of one melting before with heat from the exhaust . I suppose you could always make one though if you needed to .

CLIO 182
No they don't have a heat shield around the reservoir . It's the first time I've ever heard of one melting before with heat from the exhaust . I suppose you could always make one though if you needed to .

Thanks for the reply.. I wasnt really sure if they had a specific shield around the bottle/reservior but now i know they havent, Its strange that the lid has like melted slightly onto the bottle/reservoir,

But i have one sourced as speak.. Hopefully it shouldnt take too long to get here and i can get it fitted and fluid levels upto what they should be.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It is strange that it's melted . It's not like the reservoir is directly next to the exhaust manifold . Maybe someone will come along later and say that they've had a similar experience . I've just never heard of it happening before . When you change it , just monitor it and see how you go .

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
If your boiling your brake fluid you could always use a megane reservoir as they were remote mounted to the master cylinder. Mk1 megane I believe. What fluid are you running and how fresh is it as well? This could also be a reason your boiling the fluid if it's old stuff.
I track mine and I've never boiled the fluid or seen a melted cap.

CLIO 182
If your boiling your brake fluid you could always use a megane reservoir as they were remote mounted to the master cylinder. Mk1 megane I believe. What fluid are you running and how fresh is it as well? This could also be a reason your boiling the fluid if it's old stuff.
I track mine and I've never boiled the fluid or seen a melted cap.

I dont know that i am boiling it or what has happened to it.. Im just thinking that is maybe the reason i am getting the flashing stop/handbrake light on my car as the heat is effecting the fluid and it turn has the lights randomly coming on??.. I dont know what fluid was/is in it at the minute as that was what was in it when i bought the car in december.. I went to check the fluid and levels whenever the lights flickered but discovered i could not get the cap off as it had slightly melted onto the reservior.

I currently have a reservior on the way to me so i will get that changed asap.

Just to add that pads all round have lots of meat left on them, Incase some people say check pads etc etc.. As maybe that is why lights flicker/flash randomly??

CLIO 182
Sounds like it's the level sensor in the cap mate causing your lights to flicker. Assuming your fluid level is correct of course.

Well as you all know they are not the best to get at or investigate problems with.(i guess thats what you get for sticking a big engine in a small car/bay.. you have to put the parts anywhere ya can lol). And i cant get the cap off to fill or see if the colour/condition of the fluid.. So assuming that the cap is melted it means that possibly the screw threads on the bottle have also melted.. Therefor in turn is no point in trying to buy-source just a cap to find it will not screw/fit on.. That's why i have sourced the complete unit..

CLIO 182
An update to the thread. Got the part swapped over unfortunately don't have the old part as my mate who fitted it binned it. So I can't put pics up for you all to see

but now I know why it was melting the bottle and boiling my fluid plus abit of wiring (which was fixed thank good). My car does not have a heatsheild around the manifold. Would anybody have a spare sheild about ?

Clio 182 full fat
Hi all im not sure if this is in the right section i guess it's brake related so hope so. Should my clio 182 have a heatshield as such around the brake fluid reservoir. As the one i have on my car / part of the cap and top has melted abit with the heat of the exhuast manifold. So i guess this in turn is boiling my fluid and could be the reason my stop/brake light flickers on and off randomly??

Any help advice would be great thanks.
Similar issue the breather pipe for my brake reservoir melted during an mot test found out on way back home I had no brakes warned the guy this year about problem and the have refused to complete this year's mot.