ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Position Sensor Fault

Black 197
Hi All... Was driving my car home on the A21 when the dreaded Yellow engine management light cam on... I had full power and everything looked ok so i carried on home as per usual except for driving like miss daisy !! to not do any damage.. So anyway i gets my car to a local garage and he plugs it into a a diagnostic machine.. the fault came up as " Intermittent fault with brake position sensor "... Now i've worked out that it will only set the management light off if im using cruise control as im assuming when u brake it turns the cruise control off so is related.. any way cutting it down i spoke to my local renault dealer (Masters of Beckenham) and its gonna cost £118 just for a new sensor + fitting ect... Im sure my car is like a savings account coz all i seem to do is pour money into it lol... Anyway just thought i'd let you know incase anyone has the same fault

Renault Sport Clio 182 (04)

BMW M135i
Brake pedal switch most probably either wants changing or just adjusting. Switch isn't a lot of money if its shot, not sure where they've got £118 from.

Black 197
hey bmh u from nuneaton, cov ?? My old man lives there... got a liquid yellow 182 so u may have seen him or his missus driving around !

BMW M135i
hey bmh u from nuneaton, cov ?? My old man lives there... got a liquid yellow 182 so u may have seen him or his missus driving around !
Yeh nuneaton lad here, have seen one running about before with a woman driving.

its the sensor thats gone.. Renault quoted £118 for part and fitting !
Sound about right at circa £80/hour labour and I think the parts about £20 or so, probably could get away with adjusting it though tbh, its a common thing.

Black 197
lol yeah must be my old mans car... think its LX05 or something.. im going up there in a week or so so if u want i could p.m u and meet for a couple ??

ValverInBits
have a butchers down by the pedal and see what you make of it. You'll probably find the sensor then and there. Ask at the renault parts desk for the part, possibly try another dealership for a better price, barter a bit if you can.

It's not going to cost £100 if your sensible about it.

Best of luck mate.

Black 197
have a butchers down by the pedal and see what you make of it. You'll probably find the sensor then and there. Ask at the renault parts desk for the part, possibly try another dealership for a better price, barter a bit if you can.

It's not going to cost £100 if your sensible about it.

Best of luck mate.

Thx for your help much appreciated matey ! :)

Black 197
OMG im so getting ripped off !!, They wanted £48 odd to clip it too... I took that off and the new sensor is £118 plus vat and fitment.. I may try somewhere else other than Renault... Thx again for all your help

Black 197
I'd bet it doesn't need changing tbh.

Im thinking the same thing as its only "intermitent" but do i leave it and then just wait for the management light to come on ?? see im worried if i leave it and the light comes back on and im thinking "its just the sensor" but its not and something more sinister i may do some damage ?? i may as just get it done for peace of mind...

Bmh u still up to meet soon ?? i'll be up your way at the end of this month but as i say i'll p.m u before hand... Take care fella

Rossy182

BMW M135i
Yeh deffo up for a meet, can have a look then if you want? I've got a new switch here that you can have if its shot if you want, bought it for my 172 but it only needed adjusting in the end.

Black 197
Yeh deffo up for a meet, can have a look then if you want? I've got a new switch here that you can have if its shot if you want, bought it for my 172 but it only needed adjusting in the end.

I'll take you up on that lol... Well should be up Cov next week sometime so i'll PM ya matey.. Ta again Fella (will have to wash mine lol)

Regards

Rossy182

Renault changed mine in the time it took to have a piss, so unless the switch is made of gold, they're ripping you off. Surprise surprise. Mine was under wrranty at the time so I can't comment any further on price, but it sounds harsh. Probably 2 hours labour the robbing cnuts.

Black 197
Renault changed mine in the time it took to have a piss, so unless the switch is made of gold, they're ripping you off. Surprise surprise. Mine was under wrranty at the time so I can't comment any further on price, but it sounds harsh. Probably 2 hours labour the robbing cnuts.

Nothing new with Renault !!