ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake question..

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Had my mot done recently, all passed but the mechanic gave me a heads up on rear brakes needing to be done.

When I had my brakes last done about 2 years ago I had all 4 done. Is it normal for the rears to wear first? Thought rears lasted ages and fronts go first. Is this a solenoid problem? Maybe sticky brakes?

Cheers.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
What car and what did he say was wrong with the brakes?

When I had my 182 I was surprised by how often the rears needed changing though.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
He never mentioned anything wrong just said they will need doing in a few months.

Sorry its a 182. Maybe its normal then? I was just under the impression fronts go fast and rears last ages.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Best to take a look youself, could have been trying to get business. Take the rear wheel off and inspect the discs for wear and damage, then check the meat left on the pads. This will give you an accurate idea.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Had my mot done recently, all passed but the mechanic gave me a heads up on rear brakes needing to be done.

When I had my brakes last done about 2 years ago I had all 4 done. Is it normal for the rears to wear first? Thought rears lasted ages and fronts go first. Is this a solenoid problem? Maybe sticky brakes?

Cheers.

Rears normally last a very long time as they do very little. I've changed my fronts 3 times and the rears still have some life left.

I'd look over the brakes to check if the mechanic just means they are corroded and whether there is equal wear across inner/outer & both sides etc as it may well be sticking.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Best to take a look youself, could have been trying to get business. Take the rear wheel off and inspect the discs for wear and damage, then check the meat left on the pads. This will give you an accurate idea.

Yeah funnily enough I checked the front before the mot and just assumed with meat on fronts the rears would be fine. I'll check myself. He doesn't seem the bullshit type but I'll see.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Rears normally last a very long time as they do very little. I've changed my fronts 3 times and the rears still have some life left.

I'd look over the brakes to check if the mechanic just means they are corroded and whether there is equal wear across inner/outer & both sides etc as it may well be sticking.

Thanks that's what I thought.

I'll check it over see if anything is obviously wrong visually. I didn't consider it might be corrosion. Cheers.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I took my last 172 for an MOT and got an advisory for rear pads being low.

I'd changed them the week before.

I don't think rear pads come with much meat on them from new do they? So maybe the tester just assumed they were low?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Rear brake discs last for a very long time , so do the pads .I've had my 182 for 9 and half years and only changed my original rear discs last September . It's had 3 lots of new discs and pads on the front in all that time , that's covering 58K miles. Rear pads don't have alot of friction material on them from new so to the untrained eye , newish pads might look like they're quite worn down .

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers lads turns out its sticking and wearing uneven. Think the edges need sanding? Need replacing now though he said he'll sand the edges on the new ones.