ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brand new wheel sealant?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Bought new wheels for the S1, i’ve no idea about detailing but would like to seal the wheels with something, what would be best?

Cheers folks!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I've always used poor boys - the pink stuff. Does a good job but needs to be reapplied fairly regularly. I'd like to try some ceramic coating to see if it lasts as long as some people claim.

Cheers Rob - literally just speaking to a lad on an Up GTi page about that very stuff. Not that keen on taking the wheels off that often, maybe twice a year to clean!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Rob - literally just speaking to a lad on an Up GTi page about that very stuff. Not that keen on taking the wheels off that often, maybe twice a year to clean!
No worries mate, it does work well and makes the wheels very easy to clean but like you I don't want to be having wheels off once a month to recoat so would like something a bit more serious in the future!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
What riz said. If you’re going to “wax” them, don’t waste your time.

Reactions: JD

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ceramic coat. Ive had a couple of sets done with gtechniq crystal serum ultra. Trophy is running ds1.11 pads and the wheels have been pitted and they seem to clean up easy enough. Ultimately you still get the fallout off the agressive pads that needs a good fallout remover to shift though.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I sealed mine with Carobon Collective platinum ceramic
8D978CF5-D04F-420D-A874-27CBB3294056.jpeg

They were done back in august 2021 and they still clean up really easily with some bilberry cleaner.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Did my white track wheels with Gyeon Rim about 4 years ago and they still look like this practically, apart from the barrels which have pitted from hot brake dust.

IMG_20180128_153611.jpg

Recently did my new anthracite 2118's with Gtechniq C5, two coats 12 hours between each.

Goes on better than the Gyeon I think personally.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The Gyeon is very good also. Cleaned a Ferrari that had it on for about 2 years ish and it was still performing. I messaged the detailer to ask what the hell was on the car and the wheels.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Really useful thread. I've just bought some lovely wheels from a nice chap in canvey island and I'd like to keep them looking like this:
20231001_124250.jpg

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Mine still came up perfect even after 18 months of abuse, hand washing by me and by the local car wash..!
I was so pleased with the Carbon Collective I used it again when I got my wheels refurbed.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Dlux is the only one that I've used that stands up to aggressive pads. Every other one has given up after a couple of trackdays

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Mine still came up perfect even after 18 months of abuse, hand washing by me and by the local car wash..!
I was so pleased with the Carbon Collective I used it again when I got my wheels refurbed.

Also got this on my wheels very impressed been on 10 months so far would defo use again!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
What would people say is 'the best' Ceramic for new wheels?

Been recommended GTECHNIQ C5 a lot....?

the_baron_von_richthofen

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172 Cup
I used Carbon Collective's Platinum Wheels ceramic on a set of new 2118's that are used for track only.

It was easy enough to apply and I've done 3 or 4 track days at Blyton on them and the brake dust comes off easily.

Overall its been on them for 7 months and is still going strong.