ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brands hatch advice

1.2 Dynamique billabong
Im off to brands hatch this weekend for the BMCRC Bike Championships as to be honest im bored of silverstone. just wondering if you guys can give me any advice for the best parts of the circuit to shoot from as i have never been there before. i believe it is going to be only the indy circuit. i was really hoping to get some airbourne / wheelie action shots like nick but is this still possible on the smaller circuit. Also will i spend most the day shooting a la fence or other there parts where you can see above it. Whats best being on the in field or outter part of the circuit.
any help would be great
cheers
James

Oil Burner
A Guide to Brands Hatch Indy Circuit from Spectator positions.

brands_hatch.jpg

Paddock Hill, from the bottom looking at the apex wants 400mm.
This shot is with 300mm
306910365_8TAZh-M.jpg

Halfway up paddock hill looking at the run off wants 300mm+
361362324_5WQzd-M.jpg

Druids wants 300mm but ideally 400mm to get rid of catch fencing for the classic Brands shot.
330387726_L6ZS3-M.jpg

Inside of druids (pan) wants less than 100mm
268598858_vP7Q5-M.jpg

Inside of druids looking at the dip at bottom of paddock hill wants about 200mm depending on where your shooting the car.
306845548_UggTh-M.jpg

Inside of druids on exit of corner you can pretty much use what ever you want depending on what shot your going for.
306840056_gbUfS-M.jpg

Ontop of Druids shooting over fence at Apex 200mmish
361355495_3UsoZ-M.jpg

Exit of druids through catch fencing
(cant find pic atm)

Graham hill shooting at the exit of Druids. 300-400mm
(need pic)

Inside of Graham hill bend 200-300mm
(need to find pic)

Inside of Surtees (under 200mm for non crop shot)
361339144_WXdNm-M.jpg

Shooting the back of cars going into Clarke Curve from inside of Surtees 300mm
361348852_4knYb-M.jpg

361336759_DP5Es-M.jpg

Shooting from the right hand side of catch fencing by clearways bridge (pans, dont require much from here)
361321590_CsmA9-M.jpg

361313067_GoRBn-M.jpg

Shooting through media Hatch at Clarke Curve/Clearways 300mm
364052454_YAWp6-M.jpg

Im sure ive missed alot of shots. But these are the major ones. Im also sure people will disagree with the focal lengths ive quoted. Naturally this depends on how creative you are with your shots. But these lengths will pretty much fill the frame with car. Also my examples are by no means good examples, but ive just picked the first ones i could find.

Hope this helps.

(i made this last year so they may have added or changed some of the catch fencing)

Last edited:
  1.2 Dynamique billabong
you sir are a legend, thats awesome thanks buddy. will i be stuggling with a canon f4 70-200 and 1.4 convertor (its on a non full frame camera) for focal length - mmm i guess at worst i will have to just crop them afterwards.

thanks buddy, that was a great help
cheers
james

Oil Burner
Your welcome james, i had forgotten i had made this untill today.

I should mention the Focal lengths were with a 1.6 crop factor sensor.

If you want 2 wheel action then clearways media hatch or the inside of surtees are your best bet. Paddock hill possibly too but you may struggle to get the required focal length. I know i struggle with 300 mm trackside.

Nick

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Druids Bend / Towards Graham Hill is one of my fav locations, but the fences can play havoc.