ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bring the Nurburgring to the UK?

Little article on a petition made in October proposing the following:

The Nurburgring in Germany has been a roaring success for the region. Tourists come from far and wide to do a lap or two of the famous public racetrack. We propose that a similar road be opened in a deprived area in need of rejuvenation. This would be a good idea because it would be a centre for the public to explore speed in a safe environment, instead of on public roads causing harm to themselves and others. It would also bring automotive tourism to the area, and potentially would make money for the department through a toll system.

http://www.motoringspy.co.uk/1604/campaign-to-build-uk-nurburgring/

I personally don't think it would succeed for many reasons. The reason why the Nurburgring is famous is because of how hard it is to navigate, with varying weather conditions around the track etc.

If a UK equivalent was founded, the amount of accidents would soon have have it shut down under health & safety as well.

Views?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We probably have a higher density of race tracks in the UK than just about any other country, god knows how the petition starter hasnt heard of any of them, lol

Some alternative places that the petition starter could go to drive their car fast in a safe environment:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I hope it doesn't happen. Just gives better access for retards to ruin it.

We don't respect anything.

At the Ring I imagine the spectators, visitors are respectful.

Would never work in this country.

Qashcow
would never happen. And the reason the Ring' is so famous is due to its heritage. Silverstone/Donnington etc are known around the world, Bedford autodrome isnt, for example. A new track somewhere in the UK isnt going to warrant the annual pilgrimage that many take to the Ring, i wouldnt have thought so anyway

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think it's more the fact that you could turn up and drive round cheaply, as opposed to booking a track day, paying over £100 to do so.

Its about 15 quid a lap at the ring anyway, so you'll still do your 100 quid quite easily in a day there, and thats before the fuel and tyres etc, actual trackday booking costs are generally the least of my worries when looking at the overall cost of a day at the track.

And if he wants to just turn up and have a drive, he could try going to castle combe for one of their action days, or going to silverstone when they have events on like Trax where you can just pay for a quick 15 minutes session on track.

The whole concept that the tax payer should fork out a few billion quid to save him 100 quid though is pretty daft.

Ive still signed it though, cause although its a daft idea, is one I would love to happen, lol

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The ring is like a petrol heads Mecca, it can't be replaced with something else. That would be like saying "lets build the pyramids in England to attract tourism, it works for Egypt."...Just no.

Megane 225 F1
It wouldn't go down well in this country. I think part of the Ring experience would be the fact you go away with the lads for a few days.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The ring is like a petrol heads Mecca, it can't be replaced with something else. That would be like saying "lets build the pyramids in England to attract tourism, it works for Egypt."...Just no.

I disagree with that, yes its a cool place and no its not going to be replaced for everyone, but if they built a genuinely awesome to drive track, it would get a huge following, the ring has a huge amount of nostalgia around it etc, but personally I go there simply because I really enjoy driving it, and if there was an equally enjoyable track in wiltshire or the west mids or whatever, then I'd go to that one because I could go more times for the same spend and im on a finite budget for trackdays.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Try £24.
17 quid a lap this year if you buy 4 at a time, no one I go with ever buys singles TBH, it keeps going up though, was only 15 quid last time I went which wasnt long ago.
The 24 you are quoting for a single lap is also in euros, which is just over 20 quid

just would not work in this country

just imagine the tesco / mcdonals car park crew, trying to drive it

plus like has been said already its the heritage and challenge that make it exciting to do

health and safety would kill it and it would be destroyed with in a few years

I think every one is missing the point - If there was a 'Ring here, then us cretins could go and then be classed as "petrol heads". You're not one unless you've been iirc.

Listerine & Poledo
total dreamland idea, it wont happen.

There's enough crying about having a couple of wind turbines within 30 miles of peoples houses, imagine the uproar if some company put in for permission to build a 20-mile racing circuit, most likely across brown-land, which will almost invariably be within a short drive of a school, church etc.

Watchdog would paint it up as a porsche/child massacre if it ever made it beyond being laughed off in the commmons

Listerine & Poledo
If the M6 Toll was delimited for a fortnight, that would cause almost certainly cause enough destruction to prove that the typical UK driver (in particular the younger ones) cannot, in the main, be trusted to work within the limits of skill or equipment.

In fact, give it 48 hours and you'll see a pile of Saxos, Clios, Impreza and M318's all waiting for the insurance assessors.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Wont happen but for £250 you can drive millbrook for 2 hours 1 to 1 instruction which is awesome apparently!

millbrook-proving-ground.jpg

Hills-001_285x190.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wont happen but for £250 you can drive millbrook for 2 hours 1 to 1 instruction which is awesome apparently!

millbrook-proving-ground.jpg

Hills-001_285x190.jpg

I did some a day testing there with toyota when they launched the Mr2, the alpine stage is really good fun but its not a patch on the ring.

Listerine & Poledo
Closest you'll get in the UK without oncoming traffic, speed cameras and the thin blue line.